Help! Chick In Distress!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SilkieBantams, Oct 1, 2011.

1. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I need some help because when I went to check on my chicks. One of my EE chicks which is the dark brown one like it's trying to throw out something that is lodged in it's throat and is gasping for air. If it's newcastle disease then I'm worried that it'll get to my other chicks. What can I do to help save my poor chick? [​IMG]

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Isolate her immediately. Look down her throat to see if you can see anything. Chicks have been known to get a piece of pine shaving stuck in their throats. If you see something and can't reach it with your fingers, use a pair of tweezers.

Come back and answer some questions so others can help. How old is she? What type of bedding? Any other symptoms?

3. SilkieBantams

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I found some tweezers and checked to see if there was anything in the chick's throat and found nothing in her throat but her eyes are closed. I don't want to put anymore stress to her than what she can already take.

Their bedding is hay and she's a month old

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  4. SilkieBantams

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Whatever is ailing my poor chick it seems like it's contagious. First one of my Easter Egger had it and now one of my Silkies is doing the same thing.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by