HELP CHICK INJURED!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Joe Gonzalez, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Joe Gonzalez

Joe Gonzalez Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2014
    I had 10 buff orpingtons 6 wks old. Now I have 9 they were out in the coop and this morning when I went out there was only nine but there was no sign of a struggle or anything. Then when I examined another chick her leg was all bloodied up I just need to know what to do to increase her chance of living she's hopping around. I'm thinking if putting her in isolation with food and water and see what happens but I need to know if there is anything else I should do to treat the injury? [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would clean her leg as best as I could with betadine and water, or soap and water using a kitchen sprayer. Then dry it and apply antibiotic ointment (Neosporin, Triple Antibiotic) once or twice a day. Keep her away from flies because of maggot. Put her in a small cage with the other chicks or bring them all inside until you find where the predator go in. Rats and weasels can get into tiny holes, and a raccoon can grab chicks through chickenwire and pull them through in pieces.

3. Joe Gonzalez

Jun 26, 2014
    I put her in a small cage in the coop, now I'm reinforcing the coop with hardware cloth. I'm going to clean her up right after I'm done with the reinforcing. I feel like a bad chicken owner because every night I usually go out to the coop just to check in the chickens and last night I didn't I probably could of stopped this. Ugh

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    It would be a good idea after you're through cleaning her up and applying neosporin to spray that leg with Blu-Kote...excellent for use as a 'spray-on' bandage of sorts. Also it won't attract the others in your flock to peck at her.

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Don't beat yourself up. We all learn from our mistakes. A couple of times when I have forgotten to count my chickens in the coop at night, there has been one missing, and of course they can get hurt if left out all night.

6. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    If she is isolated then you shouldn't need to wrap the injury, however if she is with the others then you will have to or they will pick at it and make it worse

7. Joe Gonzalez

Jun 26, 2014
    Thank you guys for all the support in my short time of being a chicken owner but I'm sad to report that those days are over. An animal got to the last of my chickens. I don't think I will be getting into chickens again or for a while. This is what was left if them when I found them this morning.some might blame my bad animal husbandry but I made a sincere effort after the first attack going out to the coop 2 to 3 times a night.and by reinforcing.[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

8. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Please don't give up! I know the sadness and grief you are feeling right now makes you want to just quit...but don't!! Why let that scumbag predator get the best of you? Take a few days to clear your mind, re-think things, and then pick yourself up by your boot straps and say to yourself "they're not gonna get the best of me!" If you can, could you please post us some pics of your coop and run area. This way we can help you!! Don't give up!! You'll make me sad!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. If you get get a rraccoon trap today, I would set it out by your coop and see if you could catch whatever it is. They can show you how to operate them at the store, and tie a cat food can to the bottom of the cage where they can't reach through and get the bait. Good baits to use are salmon cat food, marshmellow, peanut butter, and snickers bar, or a combo. I trapped 9 raccoons and 3 possums in 4 weeks outside of my coop recently. I hope this doesn't stop you from owning chickens, but they have to be in a predator-proof coop locked up from dusk to dawn. Use no chicken wire, but only 1/2 hardware cloth. Skirting around the outside helps too.

10. Joe Gonzalez

Jun 26, 2014
    Also I found the entry point it was a ventalation window about 6 inches by 6 inches. That I was thinking about covering and never got to it. It's upsetting I couldn't even reap the benefits of my work in eggs. Maybe I will try next spring? I was thinking of setting up snares.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by