HELP! Chick is hatching but there is blood.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by morninggloryhatchery, Sep 10, 2009.

1. morninggloryhatchery

morninggloryhatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Wasilla
    Help! I have a chick hatching and there is just a big hole in it and there is also blood. Should i be worried? I am looking at the egg and the chicks beak is sticking out and it is chirping. There are no other pips. just a big hole. And blood like i said. WHat should i do?

Thanks

2. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    i would leave it alone and let it hatch

3. morninggloryhatchery

Jun 24, 2009
    Wasilla
    Ok. Cause there was enough blood for it to have a few drops go down the egg. Do you think it is the chick or one of the veins in the egg? Thanks

Mamahenning10 likes this.
  4. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    i dont know, pics would help

5. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    still leaving the incubator closed and let alone would still be my bet, just because you dont want to screw it up for all the others gettin ready to hatch

6. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    WHen my broodies opened pipped eggs, there was blood. Left alone for a while, they absorbed the blood and went on to the next step.

7. morninggloryhatchery

Jun 24, 2009
    Wasilla
    Ok thanks for the help. It has been hatching for about 39/40 hours now if my calculations are right. The whole in the egg got a tiny bit bigger but there is barely any progress. Any thing i could do?

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    It may have missed the air sac and pipped straight through the shell. That often results in blood.

Do not do anything. Chicks can take 24hours to go from pipped to hatch. They can take even longer if they skipped a step and didn't pip into the air sac. Usually they break into the air sac first and rest for about a day absorbing some yolk before they break the shell and then they finish absorbing the yolk and all the blood in the vessels across the membrane before they hatch. Some chicks do this quickly but some can take 48hrs from the time they start hatching (break the membrane which is normally not visible except those few that miss the air sac) until they get out of the egg. Hurrying them along will only cause them to lose all that blood they need to absorb and they will die. It will also risk drying out the membranes for the rest and they will die.

9. ally123123

ally123123 New Egg

May 7, 2013
    Mine did the same thing today and I'm worried about him / her

10. AnnieSantiago

AnnieSantiago Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2014
    Portland, Oregon
    What happened? Did the chick live?

I just saw one of mine under the hen has a hole in it and there's a bit of blood. I'm scared :(

Mamahenning10 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by