Help Chick is Sick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shellymae1002, Apr 26, 2017.

1. shellymae1002

shellymae1002 New Egg

Mar 22, 2017
    Alabama
    I purchased 8 chicks 2 weeks ago. Over the past week one of them a Salmon Favarolle started acting funny. She is really lethargic, when you pick her up she is just weak and limp. Doesn't try to wiggle or anything. When I set her down she is wobbly and leans to the side a little and will just collapse exhausted. She will make her way over to the food and lay down to eat. I've tried giving Nutri-Drench and she opens her mouth and acts like she can't swallow it, or like she's gasping. I was able to get a little down her. I have tried to feed boiled egg but she won't eat it. Now, as of this morning I have another one that's acting like this. I have no idea what is going on or what to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. christwodog

christwodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2017
    Maybe coccidiosis? Does her poop look bloody?

3. shellymae1002

shellymae1002 New Egg

Mar 22, 2017
    Alabama
    No bloody poop, I went ahead and mixed up the corid and started that in the water today, hopefully that's what it is and I can knock it out

4. christwodog

christwodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2017
    If there's no poop at all, check that her vent isn't clogged shut (pasty butt). But I think pasty butt is more common with younger chicks, and mail order chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by