1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! chick lathargic and acting weird!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by quail 247, Jul 15, 2011.

1. quail 247

quail 247 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2008
    I just went out to my brooder and saw i chick that i thought was dead, he was laying down with his eyes close, i went to pic him up when i saw he tried to move, i felt his crop, it feels like he hasnt been eating, hes very lethargic, cant really move, i fed him drops of water, which seemed to perk him up, hes alittle stronger and his chirps are much louder, i tried to give him some food but he wasnt interested. he seems to be dragging his right wing for some reason, i keep giving him drops of water, but i dont know whats wrong with him, its been HOT here in nj this past week. he was fine yesterday. maybe he wasnt getting enough water? what else should i do? any help will be appreciated!!

2. quail 247

Sep 29, 2008
    Maybe i should add more, hes about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks old. hes currently inside with a heatlamp, food and water, im periodically giving him water with a dropper, still not taking any food.

3. quail 247

Sep 29, 2008
    c'mon anyone????

hes really lethargic again, he has no strength. he cant really open his eyes or lift his head up. i tried to give him more water but hes really not taking any. or food.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:What is the temp inside your brooder? try putting a tiny bit of sugar in his water and see if that will help, just once though don't continue to give him sugar water. also electrolytes, you can get them at the feed store or if you have gator aide you can put some into some water for it. after it starts coming around try some boiled egg yolk mashed. sometimes they will eat that when nothing else. make sure it's not too hot in the brooder. at 21/2 weeks maybe around 80*

5. quail 247

Sep 29, 2008
    yeah i gave him some sugar water, sadly he took a turn for the worse i dont think hes going to make it, now he can bary open his eyes, he cant move hes just laying down

edit- he just pooped, it was more watery than normal, and it was black. not sure what that means

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  6. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    If you have some coccidiosis medication I would drip it onto his lower beak until he swallows the appropriate amount. Chicks at 3 weeks are really susceptible to cocci. While there could be something else wrong, this is a fairly common problem. You need to hurry, as if it is cocci, it can kill very quickly. [​IMG]

7. quail 247

Sep 29, 2008
    hes been fed medicated feed, i thought that was to prevent coccii?. right now hes gasping for air and his crop is full of air. im not sure what to do

8. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    He might have gotten just to hot, have you tried to turn the heat down and let him cool down.

9. quail 247

Sep 29, 2008
    he just passed away in my hands [​IMG] i have no idea what it could have been

10. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    that sucks big time I just found one hen, exact same symptoms as yours in the run, she is about 7 weeks old and its been very hot out here the last few days everyone else is doing fine but her...I brought her inside and gave her water and some cottage cheese, and then went out and got poly vitamins without the iron, she's perked up some but she stil cannot walk or get up and she is just laying there in the dog crate. when I first found her she looked dead, but like you, I picked her up and she moved a bit. she sounds funny when she tries to chirp. I also have no clue what is wrong with her, the rest of the flock is acting fine and look fine. I am really worried mine will die too :-(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by