HELP! Chick looks like it's pooping an organ.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AsherGirl, Feb 17, 2012.

1. AsherGirl

AsherGirl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2012
    I just woke up to one of my little chicks screaming. I was about an hour ago, and I found that it looks like the chick is, pooping an ORGAN. Anytime I tocuh the bloody mess, it screams. There is blood on it's beak (i guess what pecking at it?) and it's rear end is covered in BLODD. WHAT DO I DO? HELP!

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    sounds like you have a prolapsed vent...can you post a pic so we can see the severity? You may be able to lube it up and poke it back in carefully.

3. AsherGirl

Feb 17, 2012
    Yes! Give me a second THANK YOU!

4. AsherGirl

Feb 17, 2012
    [​IMG]

This si the best picture i cant get. It keeps moving and sceaming. it seems to only want to stand still and go to sleep.

5. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Okay. As far as I can see from the pic, it looks like a prolapse. For tonight, I recommend gently soaking in warm water. He may not like it, but he doesn't know what's best for him. Get him cleaned up really well (and really gently) If you have prep h, you can try to use a little to help shrink down the tissue. If it doesn't look like there is a piece missing, you can try to work the tissue back in. Be very gentle and make sure his little tush doesn't get too dry while doing this. The goal is to keep the tissue soft. If you have any ky or similar lubricating product use that as well. Of course, he needs to be kept very warm and separate from the others. Trying to get it back in is easier when its fresh.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  6. AsherGirl

Feb 17, 2012
    I had wiped some of it earlier not knowing what it was and this stringy tissue came off... is that really bad?

7. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    oh, and remember, a prolapse is like an inside out sock. You have to push it back inside its self, and not try to fold it back inside the body.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  8. AsherGirl

Feb 17, 2012
    Ok I will try this, thank you so much! [​IMG]

9. AsherGirl

Feb 17, 2012
    Is it bad that he's got really watery looking blood dripping off of the prolapse?

10. AsherGirl

Feb 17, 2012
    It's back in!!!! Thank you so much! the little chick seems to be doing good and is very tired. (^_^)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by