HELP!!!! Chick near death!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AtlantisPeeps, Aug 18, 2014.

1. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    My chick is very sick. She is about 5 weeks old . She was very weak and had a runny nose last night. Today the other chicks ran by and she fell over. I checked her over, she has mites, and pasty butt. I washed it off with warm water, and powdered her with mite stuff. Also going to be powdering the rest of my flock. We put her in a crate in my bathroom and gave her plenty of food and water, and added electrolytes. Her poop is white and very watery. If there anything else I can do???

2. AtlantisPeeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    Btw she was shipped to me last week via overnight shipping

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  3. AtlantisPeeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    Please someone help she's not getting any better D:

4. catchick247

catchick247 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2014
    I am very sorry to hear about your baby. I have no help to offer, but I would recommend personal messaging eggsessive. He is brilliant with this type of stuff, maybe messaging him will get you a quicker reply. Best of luck

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

She needs to be in a warm room, like 85 degrees, maybe more.

-Kathy

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you take it to a vet?

-Kathy

7. AtlantisPeeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    She's going to die tonight....I just know it. She can't even stand anymore.... *cries*

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm sorry about your chick. Did you call the breeder? I think it would be very hard on chicks that age being shipped. As I said in your other thread it may have a respiratory disease, or possibly coccidiosis from being on new ground at this age. Did you start any medication? Are any of the other shipped chicks sick? If you can try giving her the electrolytes by a dropper or by dipping her beak into water several times an hour tonight.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Here is a recipe for homemade electrolytes from The Chicken Chick.com:

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION
    1/2 teaspoon salt substitute*
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon table salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 gallon water
    *Salt substitute is readily available in most stores in the spice aisle near the salt, but if you do not have it, don't worry, the solution will still have most of the benefits intended to combat heat stress.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You can also use Gatorade. I used to use pedialyte, but it's over $3.50 a quart and there are a couple articles written by vets that say it's okay to use Gatorade. Mine like orange the best.

Almost all sick chickens will be dehydrated, so one must find a way to get fluids in them.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by