Help chick not growing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kybosslady79, Jan 4, 2017.

1. kybosslady79

kybosslady79 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2016
    Graham Kentucky
    [​IMG]I hatched out 20+ Chicks from our mixed flock (buff Orpington, silver and golden laced wyandotte, black australorp, speckled Sussex, barred rock) everyone seems to be growing except one little chick. He's the same size as when he first hatched. He eats and drinks just fine but does seem to have issues with walking normally. I could bring myself to cull him as long as he was eating and drinking on his own. I did move him to a tote by himself as he can't hold his own against the other chicks who are triple his size now.

My question is what could be wrong with him to cause him not to grow and should I continue to give him this time alone to try and catch up? I do have one other chick that hatched with some foot/leg deformity but he gets along fine and eats and drinks on his own.

He peeps a lot at night and I hate having him alone but the others pick on him. They were all hatched on Christmas Day. [​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  2. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    It sound like he's just the runt of the batch. It's really sad, but I've seen it a lot before, they just take a lot longer to grow and never really look normal.[​IMG]

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    From what I can see in the second picture he has badly splayed legs. He'll never grow out of it and its to late to correct it. They most humane thing to do is cull him. Otherwise he has a long, hard road of constant individual care ahead of him just to keep him alive and he'll never thrive.

4. kybosslady79

Jul 5, 2016
    Graham Kentucky
    That's not him in th second picture. The second picture the chick with the weird leg was born with a broken leg. It's not a splayed leg. That chicks leg was deformed right out of the egg and he gets along fine. That chick eats drinks and actually picks on other chicks. The chick I'm referring to is in the first picture and is 1/3 of the size of his hatch mates.

5. kybosslady79

Jul 5, 2016
    Graham Kentucky
    Here's the chick with the deformed leg. He gets around great and unless he shows some sign of suffering I will not cull him. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  6. kybosslady79

Jul 5, 2016
    Graham Kentucky
    [​IMG]

And here's the one that isn't growing. He's just super duper tiny compared to his hatchmates

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by