Help Chick out?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ferventkids, May 27, 2010.

1. ferventkids

ferventkids Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    Stockton , Ca.
    Hello could really use some help! last night at 11pm went to do my last turning of the eggs and saw we had a pip. Was gonna do lock down this morning but when we saw pip we went ahead and put water in trough . Now today 19hrs later the hole in shell is only about size of 1/4 of dime. The chick peeps but not a whole lot. I still have 6 other eggs to hatch date was surposto be Sat none of them have pipped. So bummed dont know what to do. This is all new to us our first hatch.

2. Rammy

Rammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008
    Do not help. They may pip but are still absorbing the egg sac. Under no circumstances open that bator!! Ive had them pip and then it seems it takes it two days. Then you will go in and tada!!.What are your temps? Humidity? It should be 99.5-100 area for still air. Humidity around 65 for lockdown. Hope things go well. Just remember...........patience!!

Rammy

3. ferventkids

May 25, 2010
    Stockton , Ca.
    Temp is around 100 its sure is nerve racking . we cant really see the chick except for membrane and it looks white keep reading how if is dries out itll die . Didnt know what we where getting into we've already feel in love withthe little guy and we cant even see it.

4. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    I have helped chicks out in the past, but I have always waited until the rest of the hatch was over so I wouldn't compromise the pipped ones. It will die if it is shrink-wrapped. In fact, 10 minutes ago I helped our last one out. I crackled the shell around the pip and let it stretch and break the half-dried membrane. The yolk was fully absorbed and it's wobbling all over the incubator now chirping its brains out. The other 14 are already in the brooder. Li'l Slowpoke needed help, but like I said, I waited until the end. Good luck!!

5. ferventkids

May 25, 2010
    Stockton , Ca.
    Thanks for the advice. She just fully hatched.[​IMG] While she was kicking around we noticed that we have another pip it was piping downward so we could'nt tell. Gosh this is sooooo amazing .[​IMG]

6. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:That's what I just had to do too- the slowpoke was in a leathery membrane- I was able to peal the whole shell off and dampened the membrane and set him/her on a paper towel- I waited 36 hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by