HELP!! Chick pipped and now there's blood!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kombertini, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Kombertini

Kombertini Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2015
    California
    Checked on eggs and saw this. [​IMG]
    It's day 22 and my chicks seem to be hatching now. One came fully out this morning and two others have externally pipped [​IMG]

Nervous because of all the blood. This is the biggest egg and had the biggest veins. Could that be why all the blood. I'm worried!!

I still see where it's cracked is going up and down like it's breathing but no hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    It may have been malpositioned away from the air cell and hit a vein when it pipped. I had one do this during my last hatch. You might want to just check that it's not inhaling blood, but there's not much else you can do other than that. It'll probably be fine.

3. Kombertini

May 20, 2015
    California

Thanks. Yeah it died. I opened it up more and found it hadn't absorbed its guts/yolk yet. I'm thinking the one that hatched earlier knocked it too much and maybe smashed it. It wasn't ready to hatch.

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

I'm sorry about that, it must have bled out when it pipped :hugs There's nothing you could have done.

5. coloradowildflower

coloradowildflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Utah
    So sorry. From what I've read, there's nothing you can do when they pip through a vein.

6. Kombertini

May 20, 2015
    California
    Thanks all! Yeah it was my first hatch so when things went wrong I instantly go through everything I could have done differently. But you're right, I couldn't have done anything differently. Live and learn I guess [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by