Help! Chick steped on by hen, can't get up.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PekinBantam, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Two days ago I was letting the mother hens out of their cage and this unlucky chick got stepped on by it's mother while she was getting out. He tried to stand up but he doesn't have the strength and the ankles seem swollen. To make matters worse, today he got his wing stepped on too. Any ideas?
    PS. sorry about the picture being low quality, its raining and it was hard to get a good picture with his squirming.

[​IMG]

2. fancyfeathers38

fancyfeathers38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Australia.
    Separate him and keep him warm. Make sure he is eating.
    Have you checked him over to see if he's hurt anywhere else? Are you sure it's not Mareks?

3. Thanks for the advice, I hope it will help. And no, I don't think it's Mareks.

4. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Do you think possibly a splint would help? Maybe give him some support for his sore ankle....He's awful cute ...hope he gets better!

5. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Hi.

Chickenzoo has a wonderful drawing of a support chair for injured chickens - she is not online right now but I have made a few compromise chairs and they do work - try a wooden raised box frame about 4" - 6" high, use a cloth or suitable material to rest the chick in (make 3 holes, one for each leg and one for poop and attach the material to the frame) - make sure that the chick cannot rest it's legs on the floor - keep it high enough to rest the legs - if you feel that the legs are too far apart you can use a couple of soft hair bands to keep the legs in their correct position.

I have used mine on a few occasions and it has worked - I too have had chicks jumped on by their Mum's and they have been OK after some rest and leg therapy.

I wish you and your chick well!

Suzie

6. Thank you, I will try the chair idea tomorrow, I hope it's not too late.

7. I'm sorry to say that somehow, last night the little guy disappeared! I think that a rat got him. Strangely no trace of the body.

8. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    So sorry to hear that - I HATE rats - I had 7 Indian Runner chicks mangled by rats - I now always keep all chicks (chicken, duck and goose) with their Mum in a rat proof housing until they are a couple of months old.

Suzie
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by