Help Chick STILL lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mochicken, Sep 30, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I have a mutt bantam that I got August 27th, it was acting kinda slow when I got it, it eats and drinks, and even goes into the coop at night and comes out in the morning. The problem is it always seems to be sleepy, I treated it a couple weeks ago with Corid for 5 days in its water, treated the whole flock.

The rest of the chicks act fine but this one just acts tired all the time

2. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:Could it be the runt of the litter and get stressed? I would separate it, put under a heatlamp, feed electrolytes for a few days, give it some egg yolkes and see if the situation improves. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Yeah it could be I guess, she is pretty small, I will give it a try and see if it helps any.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes the little runt chicks get cold. See if her poo is bloody though, as I have twice had to retreat for coccidiosis.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  5. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I have been checking periodically and havnt seen any blood in any of their feces. I will be treating them again this week with Corid for the second time just to make sure I got the cocci killed

6. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    Quote:where do you get the meds for cocci? two of my chicks died last night from it and the vet said they wont see my other chicks until i mail the dead one to seattle for it to be disected... which could take weeks and by then they could all be dead

7. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I ordered mine from Jeffers Equine and had it in my hands in less than 5 days, they have a shipping time chart on their site that will tell you how long it takes, I ordered mine at 11am and they shipped the same day, I HIGHLY recommend them.

Here is a link to Corid on their site, from what I understand Corid is a thiamine blocker that kills and prevents Coccidia. You probably wont need a gallon, if you scroll down to the bottom they have gallon and 16oz sizes. Until it gets to you I hear that putting apple cider vinegar in their water and sprinkling powdered milk on their food will help until you receive it.

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/product.asp?camid=LIV&pn=0027132

8. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    You can also buy Corid at a local farm store if you have one close by. Good luck [​IMG]

9. flashover1969

flashover1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    On top of what your doing, I would recommend giving them a medicated starter feed such as Purina's start and grow.

10. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    Quote:thats what they are already on.

p.s. sorry for highjacking your thread

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by