HELP CHICK STILL NOT HATCHED

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Animal-lover101, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Animal-lover101

Animal-lover101 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2015
    Hey guys I have a broody baby who is sitting on 1 precious egg but it is day 26 and it still hasn't hatched. I did the float test and candled it today everything was good and the chick was moving it the egg so it's not dead. This is my babies first time going broody and in the beginning she was on and off the egg more then usual could this be the reason for the delayed hatch??

2. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    I don't know that would cause her egg not to hatch later than its supposed to but if u can try and make a small hole in the end of the egg with the air cell so it can breath with out u worrying so much and if it don't hatch by he end of tomarrow I would take it and help it hatch

3. Animal-lover101

Sep 30, 2015
    Thanks for your reply. I'm worried about making a small hole because it hasn't internally pipped yet. I'm also scared to help it out because this is my first time and I don't want to make the situation worse.
    Here is a photo of me candling the egg does anything look abnormal
    [​IMG]

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    The veining looks strong and that's good. It could just be that she didn't actual start incubating them as soon as you are counting. If she was off and on then that would delay development because you need that constant heat to keep the development going. As long as there is a good sign of life I would leave it with her and give it time. I definitely would NOT put a hole in it especially since it has not internally pipped and especially under a hen. That's just asking for bacteria to get in there. I'm not an advocate for putting holes in shells, but in my opinion if that step is made it should only be made after a chick has been internaly pipped for over 24 hours.

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    The air cell has not drawn down yet, so it's not ready to start hatching quite yet. Hopefully you will see/hear something soon.

6. Animal-lover101

Sep 30, 2015
    Thank you everyone for replying and giving all the good info. I will keep u posted

7. Animal-lover101

Sep 30, 2015
    just letting everyone know the chick hatched yesterday morning and is doing well.

8. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Well I am glad he's out and all good I wish u luck with ur chicken raiseing as I am sure u will be hatching more once u realize all the baby's are grown up I know I feel that way

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by