1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help, chick stopped chirping!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LaurynRose, May 30, 2016.

1. LaurynRose

LaurynRose Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2015
    Missouri
    It is day 21 and about two hours ago I picked up my egg and tapped it and it chirped. Then I tried to see again but it isn't chirping but is moving around the egg. Is anything wrong? How long tell hatch?

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Hi Lauren. Are you hatching in an incubator? It is a bad idea to open the incubator for any reason after day 18 of incubation. Opening an incubator during that time can disrupt normal hatching, and lead to chicks that may have hatched not hatching. While it is hard to do, it is best to leave your incubator closed.

Here is an article on hatching eggs that may be helpful for you - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

3. LaurynRose

May 30, 2015
    Missouri
    thank you very much

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    No it doesn't mean anything is wrong. As long as there is still movement, that's the important thing. Sometimes when I candle during lockdown and tap at the internal pippers they'll respond with a chirp or tap back, other times, nothing, but they hatch perfectly fine.

5. LaurynRose

May 30, 2015
    Missouri
    I feel as if it may be dead but not sure. It was pecking at the side earlier but not anymore. It has been an hour since I saw movement. Is it asleep or dead? How can I tell?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by