HELP! Chick stumbles A LOT.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChicksinFL, Sep 11, 2011.

1. ChicksinFL

ChicksinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Okay we did our first hatching in an incubator. One chick was hatched with the yolk sack unabsorbed, so we kept that chick by itself. Now the sack is gone and chick eats, drinks, poos, and sleeps great... however it stumbles ever couple steps and when it does eat/drink it falls forward into it's food. When the chick walks it keeps it's wings out as balance, it has gotten better but I can't put it with the other chicks as they grab his little wings and not just a peck they grab and pull.

Does anyone have any idea why this would still be going on and if we should just cull it now or keep working with it. I feel so bad it wants in with the others but every time I try the other chicks just are relentlessly picking on it.

[​IMG]

2. jarvis

jarvis Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    potosi
    try posting in the emergancy section .. they are very helpful ...?

3. ChicksinFL

Aug 11, 2011
    Thanks I didn't get any help in that section either yet. Weaklink as the kids have dubbed it is still seperate , it's eating a mash of save a chick and starter crumbles. It eats very well when it's not making a header into it's food.

4. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    Have you tried feeding it hardboiled egg yolk crumbled up? A couple of our chicks seemed a bit weaker than the others, stumbling a bit, not peeping much. The yolk seemed to perk them right up. Maybe yours is a bit underdeveloped and needs some extra protein to help jump start it?

5. ChicksinFL

Aug 11, 2011
    Quote:No I haven't done that but I will boil an egg tonite. I am feeling so badly for the little thing it just peeps non stop when it's alone, we've ended up having it by a person all day today. It happily will sleep in a shirt pocket... My husband made it clear NO HOUSE chickens.

6. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    In my limited experience just from reading here on BYC this chick has splayed leg.. you need to use a band aid to help it along... search up splayed leg or look in the emergency section asap.
    You simply apply a band aid to hold the two legs together helping the chicks turned leg grow in a normal way.

7. ChicksinFL

Aug 11, 2011
    Quote:I looked that up just now and what I'm seeing in pictures and this chick don't match up. I'll take better pictures of his legs in a few. However his legs are normal at least when compared to the other houdan chick he just doesn't keep his balance well.

8. ChicksinFL

Aug 11, 2011
    Guess he just needed extra time alone. Today he's walking 100% better no more using wings to balance. It's been getting a save a chick and chick starter mash since out of the incubator and lots of love / care from the family. Today he went back in with the other chicks, he got picked on a little at first but picked right back even on the major bully of the group.

Just thought I'd update.

9. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    thats great news [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by