Help chick troubles

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by luckyducky1234, Sep 1, 2014.

1. luckyducky1234

luckyducky1234 New Egg

Aug 6, 2014
    I have 14 eggs that are on day 22 this mourning. On day 20 one pipped and I waited until this mourning to help it. The membrane was dried on his head and he could not get out. I broke the shell around it and some warm water And he's out. But 13 more are starting to pip. If they are the same way should I help them to

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I generally avoid helping. Chicks requiring help very frequently have overall quality of life issues resulting in loss later. I know it is very interesting to observe the hatching process but you will find hatch rate is better when hen is not disturbed until everyone is out and dry.

3. blkjak

blkjak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2014
    Manitoba Canada
    It is really hard not to help but sometimes you have to. Wait for 24 hours after pip then help very carefully but I find chicks you have to help are not always in the best of health.

4. Kathryn173

Kathryn173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    Northern Ireland
    increase the humidity and they wont dry out as quickly

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

That option likely applies here if incubator involved.

6. luckyducky1234

luckyducky1234 New Egg

Aug 6, 2014
    I have a strofoam incubator and the humidity is hard to control. It's always gets low

7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    If room add a water saturated sponge. Make sure water warm when placed in incubator to reduce temperature drop.

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Make sure the lid is on properly. If it is not on right the crack can let humidity escape. I did that once and was really confused as to what was going on until I noticed the lid was not on right.

What controls humidity is water surface area. Depth of water in the reservoirs does not change humidity, just when the water is used up. If the humidity is dropping, it sounds like the water is getting used up, either a reservoir is going dry or a sponge or towel is drying out. I use a straw and syringe to add water without opening the incubator if it gets dry. Putting the accordion straws together I can reach anywhere I want inside the incubator through the vent hole.

[​IMG]

To raise the humidity either fill more reservoirs with water, add a container of water, or put a sponge, washcloth, or paper towel in a reservoir so it can wick moisture out and provide more surface area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by