help... chick/turkey missing top part of beak and part if eyelid

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newtochickens88, Jul 23, 2014.

1. newtochickens88

newtochickens88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2014
    Florida
    First time poultry owner here, and I need some advice and wisdom. I found an injured chick hiding under my truck on Sunday, not sure where it came from or how it got there. Upon examination I noticed several scabbed over but fresh puncture wounds on chest neck head and body. The poor thing is missing top layer of its top beak, where the nostrils are, and part of one eyelid seems to have been ripped off, it can still close its eye. Now for the questions, should I be applying Neosporin to the beak or should I avoid that, I am afraid of blocking its nostrils, the eye seems to be getting stuck shut what should I do? I believe an air sac has been ruptured in its chest, its swollen and feels full of air can I do anything to treat that or let it heal on its own. It has been eating and drinking well. I would appreciate any and all advice, I'm just at a loss as to what I can give this poor bird to help it.

2. newtochickens88

Mar 17, 2014
    Florida
    The black area on her beak is where its missing, looks like part of the comb was ripped off as well. Not entirely sure if I have a chicken or turkey here.
    [​IMG]

3. newtochickens88

Mar 17, 2014
    Florida
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I would get an eye ointment. In the meantime you can use Vaseline to keep it from sticking shut. I saline wash would help as well if you can. Maybe pat it with a cotton ball dipped in saline. Not sure about the other.

5. newtochickens88

Mar 17, 2014
    Florida
    Ok thank you so much

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The ruptured air sac can be deflated with an 18 gauge needle with or without a syringe. You just want to carefully pierce the skin with the needle not going deeply, and try to push the air out of the ballooned area. When removing the needle, hold mild pressure over the needle hole for a minute, and you can even take vaseline or Neosporin and put it on a piece of gauze to seal the hole off. This will take an extra pair of hands. The air may re-accumulate, and may have to be removed more than once. If the air sac is not too large, you can leave it alone. Here is a link to read about this:
    http://ijasvm.com/ijasvmadmin/upload/IJASVM_5113cbc51d31b.pdf
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/171121/deflating-subcutaneous-emphysema

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  7. newtochickens88

Mar 17, 2014
    Florida
    Ok thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by