Help chick vent prolapsing

SplitMilk

Chirping
Oct 20, 2021
Australia
I've noticed when checking on my (6 week old) chicks that one of them has been having it's vent prolapse. I have been cleaning off any poop around it's vent with a wet qtip and gently pushing it's vent back in. It seems to reoccur after a few hours though. It is still eating and drinking and none of the other chicks have been pecking it's vent. It's poop does seem a little bit dry, and I suspect it's happening from it being a bit constipated. It doesn't seem too bothered by it at the moment. I've been feeding them chick starter plus it's been free ranging my lawn when the weather allows. I also give them some boiled egg as a treat every few days. There is no bleeding or anything. Not sure what I should be doing to help it exactly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh and this has only been happening for the last 2 days.

You could also try giving the chick coconut oil to help relieve it of its harder poops. Some folks freeze it in little bitty portions to make it easy to feed. Hopefully if the poops get easier the straining will stop and that will keep the prolapse from recurring. It's really important to make sure nobody starts pecking the prolapse because that goes from bad to deadly. If you don't have preperation H, hydrocortisone cream will work too and help take the swelling down. Not sure if vaseline will do anything for the swelling itself - also a little worried that it would make a more attractive shiny pecking target.

You could also try giving the chick coconut oil to help relieve it of its harder poops. Some folks freeze it in little bitty portions to make it easy to feed. Hopefully if the poops get easier the straining will stop and that will keep the prolapse from recurring. It's really important to make sure nobody starts pecking the prolapse because that goes from bad to deadly. If you don't have preperation H, hydrocortisone cream will work too and help take the swelling down. Not sure if vaseline will do anything for the swelling itself - also a little worried that it would make a more attractive shiny pecking target.
It could cause pecking you should separate...the vaseline helps it be more "slippery " so stuff slides more out

It's not that bad currently, I'm just worried it'll get worse, or like you guys have mentioned the others could start pecking it.
I would have to rig something up in my brooder to seperate it, but that should be easy enough.
Thanks for all the advice, I'll be putting some of it into action tomorrow and see how it goes from there.

Back
Top Bottom