HELP - Chick will not open her eyes!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BeaglesAPlenty, May 26, 2010.

1. BeaglesAPlenty

BeaglesAPlenty Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    Received 20 chicks from Meyer last Thursday. Five of them were not doing well from the start. We ended up loosing all five within 36 hours. Remainder appeared to thrive.

Since Sunday night, we had one start to go down hill. Even though her pooper was not clogged there was a large piece stuck in her fur back there that I think was inhibiting the poop process. Once cleared, she pooped the biggest poop yet. She was able to take water via a dropper and was able to get a little food yesterday.

Today, she is able to move a little better but has both eyes closed. I am concerned that she got pecked at a bit while feeling down, and that maybe they got her eyes.

I was able to seperate her. She can find water if she is stepping in it. I can get her to drink every couple of hours. I can not get her to find food.

I am brand new at this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry

2. BeaglesAPlenty

May 24, 2010
    I am able to get her to eat now. Poor thing was starved. And she is drinking water. Her energy level is returning.

Only symptom now is her eyes not being open. According to previous post it could be conjunctivitis. Or it could have been pecking. How can I tell? I do not see an crusting. And it seems odd it would affect both eyes at the same time.

[​IMG]

3. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    try some polyvisol liquid vitamins without iron. See if that strengthens her. Poor baby.

4. BeaglesAPlenty

May 24, 2010
    ...I am not going to loose this chick ...I am not going to loose this chick ...I am not going to loose this chick ...

Thanks for the really good suggestion. I think I am going to alternate between your vitamin drop suggestion and an antibiotic eye drop/ointment. I am still thinking that it must have been the pecking. The antibiotic ointment may help with recovery. She does peek one of her eyes partially open.

She is continuing to do the same with times of vigor and times of rest.

Why is it that the things that are so sad can also be the things that inspire us. Despite the fact that she is miserable, when she does find food or water she will peck or dip at it, missing the food or water two times out of three, but she keeps at it until she gets her fill. As long as she does not give up, I will not give up either.

5. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    how is your chick doing now?????

6. DianeB

DianeB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Have you called Meyer about the problem? This maybe something that started at the hatchery.

7. BeaglesAPlenty

May 24, 2010
    Thanks everyone for inquiring...

She is still doing the same. She is eating or drinking in binges. She is resting or sleeping the remainder of the time. When I pick her up she is still very feisty. She complains about being disturbed, then she wants to snuggle against you. She likes rubbing her face against my t-shirt also. I wander if this has something to do with her eyes.

I have not called Meyer about her. I received a refund for the five that died fairly quickly. All the others are thriving.

By the way, she is a speckled sussex. Of the five I lost, four of them were also speckled sussex. My guess is that they hatched earlier than the others and went over their two days while in shipping. Meyer delayed shipping a day because they could not fill our complete order.

She is not finding the water or food on her own very often. I have been picking her up and setting her down letting her feel where it is.

I think at this point I can only keep doing what I am doing: Meds & Vitamins, Food & Water, Heat & Shelter.

8. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    I am hoping she gets stronger with time, and the strength will help her learn to find food and water on her own more often.
    we will need updates often, please.

9. Peppermint

Peppermint Chillin' With My Peeps

Subscribing...pulling for you little SS...

10. BeaglesAPlenty

May 24, 2010
    I think we have some improvement this morning. Her eyes are open a little bit, but not fully. She was moving around on her own, so I think she is starting to be able to see something. Moving around on her own was something she was not doing before. Her energy level is good still, as she would demonstrate with her developing wings.

Having watched the first five die without there being any affect from my mothering (I was able to get them to drink water, but not much food), this girl is very encouraging. I am hoping that I am not simply seeing what I want to see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by