Help!! Chick with a torn beak!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by qtmomo112, Mar 5, 2014.

1. qtmomo112

qtmomo112 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    Bahamas
    Help! I have a 6 week old buff orpington pullet that has the side of her beak torn. im not sure how it happened but it might be from the wire on their coop. Im posting a picture so you all can see and let me know what you think I should do. She seems to be having a hard time eating but she is active and trying to anything she can but it must hurt.

[​IMG]

2. Mei&Popcorn

Mei&Popcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

You might want to tube feed her [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This chicken ran into a fence and broke her beak off but after
    more then 6 months she is still alive [​IMG]

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Beak injuries are extremely painful,i would trim that small piece hanging just the corner. She probably is not going to eat or not much,add water to her feed (so it resembles oatmeal)this is easier/less painful to eat.Give her soft foods,you will probably have to do some hand feeding,meaning place food in hand and and let her peck at it. With a beak injury normal pecking is very painful to beak,this is why they will not eat,what i have done besides hand feeding/adding water to feed/soft foods,is place feed on something soft such as a pillow,this minimizes the jarring to beak in normal pecking and is less painful.

I have treated beak injuries,what i have done is gently clean wound with a q tip(careful of nostril/nares)i don't think glue is going to help her as this is a pretty good chunk that has been sliced,layer will regrow and harden,but takes time. I did apply with a q tip a very small dab of antibiotic ointment(i use polysporin 2 antibiotic eye ointment for sties on beak injuries)to beak,not always necessary but in my roosters case he had a deep laceration on beak from fighting with one of my cats and i did not want infection setting in. It was approx 2 weeks before my boy started eating normally again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by