Help! chick with closed eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CracyLee, Mar 13, 2012.

1. CracyLee

CracyLee New Egg

Mar 12, 2012
    I got three bantam chicks last week. One of the chicks had a closed eye from the beginning. I have full grown chickens but I'm brand new at raising chicks. And after all the different things I've read trying to figure this out, now I'm more confused. Mainly I don't want to do too much and end up hurting her. I've been cleaning it with a damp paper towel, and it began to open around day 4. There is a clear goop that keeps coming out and although I've been cleaning it off it forms a little bit of a crust, and makes it hard for the chick to open again. I read alot of posts that said to use neosporin, so I tried that last night and this morning but haven't seen any change. I also read to use Duramycin/Tetracycline, I work at a feed store so that certainly wasn't a problem getting, but now I'm terrified I'll overdose the tiny baby! So as I sit here reading post after post, staring at my bag of antibiotic powder, I figured I'd just ask my own question, and HOPE someone answers soon????

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I use a teaspoon per quart chick watered of the powder.

3. CracyLee

CracyLee New Egg

Mar 12, 2012
    THANK YOU! Is it ok for my other bantams to drink it too as a precaution or will it hurt them since they don't have any signs of the same issue?

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I would seperate the chick and watch the others.

5. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

the others will pick on him if they figure out hes hurt,, thats jus nature. seperate him and if u can,, stick a warm tea bag on his eye 2 or 3 tinmes a day.

6. CracyLee

CracyLee New Egg

Mar 12, 2012
    Thank You!! The little one has been separated and I'm treating with a tsp of the Duramycin/Tetracycline in his water as well as vitamins and electrolytes, and the neosporen. I will try the tea bag if I don't see any improvement soon. Any other suggestions will still be very appreciated.

7. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

put a patch on it,,so he'll look tough, but be careful,,when he looks tough everyone will want to know how tough,and when they do that he may end up in a roadside ditch,,DONT let your chick wake up in a roadside ditch!! [​IMG] <<< i love that commercial heh ; )

8. CracyLee

CracyLee New Egg

Mar 12, 2012
    Hahaha! too funny! Ill look into a tiny chick sized patch... Maybe in some of my old pirate gear... I'm pretty sure I've seen a parrot with a patch so I'm thinking Its certainly possible. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by