Help! chick with closed eye

CracyLee

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 12, 2012
I got three bantam chicks last week. One of the chicks had a closed eye from the beginning. I have full grown chickens but I'm brand new at raising chicks. And after all the different things I've read trying to figure this out, now I'm more confused. Mainly I don't want to do too much and end up hurting her. I've been cleaning it with a damp paper towel, and it began to open around day 4. There is a clear goop that keeps coming out and although I've been cleaning it off it forms a little bit of a crust, and makes it hard for the chick to open again. I read alot of posts that said to use neosporin, so I tried that last night and this morning but haven't seen any change. I also read to use Duramycin/Tetracycline, I work at a feed store so that certainly wasn't a problem getting, but now I'm terrified I'll overdose the tiny baby! So as I sit here reading post after post, staring at my bag of antibiotic powder, I figured I'd just ask my own question, and HOPE someone answers soon????

THANK YOU! Is it ok for my other bantams to drink it too as a precaution or will it hurt them since they don't have any signs of the same issue?

Thank You!! The little one has been separated and I'm treating with a tsp of the Duramycin/Tetracycline in his water as well as vitamins and electrolytes, and the neosporen. I will try the tea bag if I don't see any improvement soon. Any other suggestions will still be very appreciated.

put a patch on it,,so he'll look tough, but be careful,,when he looks tough everyone will want to know how tough,and when they do that he may end up in a roadside ditch,,DONT let your chick wake up in a roadside ditch!!
sickbyc.gif
<<< i love that commercial heh ; )

Hahaha! too funny! Ill look into a tiny chick sized patch... Maybe in some of my old pirate gear... I'm pretty sure I've seen a parrot with a patch so I'm thinking Its certainly possible. ;)

Back
Top Bottom