1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! Chick with closed eyes, cant stand, wont eat/drink, flipping over backwards!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MacNYellow, Aug 6, 2013.

1. MacNYellow

MacNYellow New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    One of my day old chicks came in today and while the others were perfectly healthy and happy, this one is really off to a bad start! She wont open her eyes, and its almost as if she has no idea which way is up. Her head bobbles around like shes drunk and her head is spinning and she will tilt her head all the way back and fall onto her back. She stays that way. I tried sitting her up on her own feet but she sways and swirls and falls onto her back again. She's peeping and she moves but cant do anything on her own. I tried using a dropper to give her some sugar water but that hasn't helped. Has anyone heard of this or have any suggestions? I feel terrible for her. I put her in a separate box because the other chicks were picking on her.

Thanks for helping!

2. mithious

mithious Chillin' With My Peeps

If she isn't opening her eyes, she probably is confused. Sounds like she might need to be hand feed. Can you try to gently wash her eyes and see if you can open them for her? Maybe they are crusted shut? Has she had anything to drink yet? Did you dip the beaks of the others? Do you have a syringe you could try putting a little water at the corner of her beak and see if she drinks it, or maybe a clean cloth and drip on her beak? You may have to try to nurse this little one, if you want to try to save her. Some save a chick is good for shipping stress I hear. and probiotics. I was giving mine that and vitamins when I had to stop to treat cocci.

Is it possible she might be blind? I have heard people say use some olive oil, on a cotton cloth and gently rub around their eyes to try to losen any crusty stuff that might be keeping her from opening her eyes.

Sorry, this hatchery chick stuff is all new to me...I AM learning, but this is my first ones. Not new to chickens, just the hatcheries and shipping. Also, some people get the crumbles like a soup, by soaking them, and feed them through a syringe. I have no idea how to tube feed, but have heard some do that too...but I am NOT the one to help with that!!!

Best of luck with your new chicks!!!

3. creepygothnursi

creepygothnursi Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    Vitamin deficiency maybe? I have often read to give Poly-Vi-Sol without the iron (MUST be without the iron, the iron makes them sick) to chicks. It's a vitamin designed for human infants and can be found with baby supplies or with baby/children's vitamins.

4. MacNYellow

MacNYellow New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    Thanks for the replies. Everything I've tried to give her shes thrown back up or gurgled on... now shes barely gasping for air. Sadly I think shes on her way out :( I may have my husband put her out of her misery because I simply cant do it. Poor thing.

5. Tubbys Lil Farm

Tubbys Lil Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2012
    N. Idaho
    Sorry to hear about your chick. As hard as it is to do, sometimes culling is the best for you and the chick.

6. Tubbys Lil Farm

May 21, 2012
    N. Idaho
    Can you see anything in her mouth or throat? or can you feel anything in the throat?

7. MacNYellow

MacNYellow New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    No, I don't see or feel anything in her throat. I think she just has a deformity or a disease of some kind. She's not even trying to eat or drink anymore. What is the best way to cull a baby chick? This sucks so bad. She was an extra that was thrown in too, I wish they hadn't done that!

8. Tubbys Lil Farm

May 21, 2012
    N. Idaho
    I have only had to cull one chick (hours old) and I culled it the same as I would have a larger bird...which I slit the vein along the throat and allow it to bleed out (I can't say this is the best way, but it is the way that I know). I agree with you that it does suck, and I would not try to convince you otherwise. My family has had several shipments from hatcheries and this is the first year in many that the "extra" has survived. I know it will be difficult but it will be a relief once it is done, knowing neither of you are suffering, and just know that your are doing the right thing.

9. MacNYellow

MacNYellow New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    Thanks :) that was a kind post. She actually ended up passing on her own before we had to come to that. I'm sad she didn't make it but relieved its over! Thanks again for your help!

10. mithious

mithious Chillin' With My Peeps

Sooo sorry to hear that and for what you had to go through!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by