HELP Chick with Crop and Maybe broken wing!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Quailbuddy, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Quailbuddy

Quailbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    HELP Chick with Crop and Maybe broken wing! [​IMG]
    My 3 day old BR has been trying to get out of there brooder... she runs and trys to squeeze through the bars and today i saw her try and she got stuck... She had her head and both wings through the small rectangle in the wire ( my brooder has wire sides but has towels on 3 out of the 4 sides to keep in heat... so anyway i ttried to help her get back through because she was squirming and cheeping like crazy! we ggot her back through the wire but now the holds one wing not al the way to her side and her Crop ( i think its called their crop, its like where her chest is ) is really bug and puffy. All the other chicks were alseep but she has been pacing the door and cheeping like crazy and because she cant ssee out she runs and trys to climb/fy up the wall ! I took her out to hold her but she is just cheeping and cheeping so i put her back and now shes still pacing! What do i do?
    DOES SHE HAVE A BROKEN WING ?
    WHY IS HER CROP SOOO BIG AND PUFFY?
    I am a first time chicken owner and i just brought her home today I am so worried and concerned! What do i do to help her? [​IMG] [​IMG]

***UPDATE: she has white watery foamy almost bubbly poop. Its more air than anything. HELP! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ALSO HER CROP IS BUG AND SQUISHY... what does this mean? She is Cheeping like crazy

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  2. drunkdog

drunkdog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Everett
    though I dont have an answer I do wish you luck...try posting this in the emergency section you may find a quicker, better answer...

3. Quailbuddy

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Quote:thank you, I am very concerned [​IMG]
    I posted it in that section about 30min ago but got no answer so i thought i would also post it here...
    Her Crop is very big andd squishy and she isnt pooping ... when she tried to all that came out was white foamy / bubbly poop [​IMG]

4. CricketYang

CricketYang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Mason, MI
    Are you giving her grit? My little Minnie's crop got so big once that it was bigger than her head! So I started giving her grit and it went down to normal. What do you have her eating? Everyone else ok?

5. Quailbuddy

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Quote:No she is not getting grit. In fact none of my chicks are grtting grit and my oldest it 2 weeks... should I ? She is eating chick starter crumbles.. everyone else is fine. Which is what worries me. She also seems very hyper and is jumping up the walls and trying to squeeze through the brooder wire sides [​IMG]

6. ScotH

ScotH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    South East Texas
    A Copy&Paste from a website I Googled:

"Sprinkle some grit on top of their feed each day, similar to the way you would salt the food you eat.

Do not give too much because some breeds are more susceptible to impaction. Most chickens love grit and will eat as much as you offer. Remember that in most cases, your flock is getting gravel and such on their own as they scratch at the ground."

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by