Help! Chick with funny bum!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickieBooBoo, Apr 12, 2011.

1. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I have a Light Brahma chick about 4-6 weeks old (I don't remember 100%) She's always been missing feathers on her bum but tonight in the past few hours she's starting to hunch over and trys to push something out the back. Similar to a hen when she lays her egg. Her whole vent area and abdomen is sticking out. I have pics but Photobucket is down, what other sites can I use?

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Light Brahma 4-6 weeks old
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Hunched over, droopy, eyes closed, seems to be trying to push something out her back end
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Within the past 2-3 hours, she's always had a funny bum but nothing like this
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Very red and swollen
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Not that I know of, she's always been a very energetic chick
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Water and chick starter
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Not sure, she hasnt pooped yet since I seperated her
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I've been soaking her butt in warm water with epsom salts
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? A vet isn't possible, I have to do everything myself
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Photobucket is down, what other sites can I use?
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use Housed in a large pen with 4 other chicks her age and breed. Straw bedding. The pen is in one of my adult coops though, they are seperated by chicken wire

2. Jane Jill Jack

Jane Jill Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Sounds like she is egg bound. I think constant bathing will help.

Hope she gets better!

Oops, I just read she is really young. Maybe she ate something that cemented or stuck togethor inside her intestines? Try massaging her.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  3. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    ok, I just dont want to hurt her!

edit: I just noticed she had a thin stream of a white, milky fluid coming from her vent. It smells HORRIBLE

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  4. Jane Jill Jack

Jane Jill Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    I did a little research, and came up with two main causes. Older hens sometimes miss the "funell with the yolk when making an egg, and it drops in the wrong place, gathering a lot of fluid. the other cause was tumors, cancer, etc. Are you sure there is nothing blocking the vent? The best thing to do is keep bathing her, and lightly massaging her with oil. It always relaxes them.

5. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I can't feel anything blocking her vent, she does seem to be pecking at it a bit. She's got the white liquid all over her beak now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by