Help! Chick with growth

chickiemama27

Songster
6 Years
Apr 18, 2017
I posted in a previous thread but didn’t get any feedback so I’m going to try again. I have a six week old barnyard mix check that we hatched. She has a growth underneath the bottom portion of her beak. Has anyone experienced this? And do you have any suggestions or thoughts? It doesn’t seem to be hindering her right now. It has grown. Occasionally she will itch it.

I really want to help her and am concerned it’s going to keep growing.

Thank you! 💛

Attachments

• A3759F90-4FB4-43DE-AAD6-A7CC766B69DA.jpeg
    A3759F90-4FB4-43DE-AAD6-A7CC766B69DA.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 64
  • ABB53AE7-7142-4DD6-9F15-8877DA88BB0A.jpeg
    ABB53AE7-7142-4DD6-9F15-8877DA88BB0A.jpeg
    881.7 KB · Views: 19
I saw your previous post. Could you get a shot from underneath? Tumors and cysts are common in chickens. Is there anything on it like a peck wound scab? Ingrown feather cysts are also common. I would watch it, but if an abscessed peck wound is suspected, you could try to lace and squeeze it.

I saw your previous post. Could you get a shot from underneath? Tumors and cysts are common in chickens. Is there anything on it like a peck wound scab? Ingrown feather cysts are also common. I would watch it, but if an abscessed peck wound is suspected, you could try to lace and squeeze it.
No wound or anything. I’m hoping that it’s a cyst. I’ll try to squeeze it and see what happens. It almost seems annoying to her more than anything.

Also, I really appreciate your reply! We have had chickens for about five years and I have an experienced a cyst or tumor yet. Hoping she will get better

Also, I really appreciate your reply! We have had chickens for about five years and I have an experienced a cyst or tumor yet. Hoping she will get better
I know often times people don’t update but I wanted to let you know what ended up happening with my sweet little pullet. The Avian Vet said that she has some thing very unique that they really don’t see. She has an anomaly where her upper beak is growing but her bottom beak is no longer growing. This is forcing her tongue into a pocket that her body has naturally created in her throat. So that bulge in the pictures is actually her tongue. We are hoping and praying they’ll take her to try out and experimental surgery where they will trim her tongue and close the pocket to keep her tongue from falling back into that space. It’s really her only hope. Thanks for the feedback from this group! I appreciate it!

How is she?
Thank you so much for asking about her! She’s actually hanging in there. It takes her a lot longer to eat food and drink water, but she’s holding her own. We have her scheduled for surgery on the 25th to trim up her beak and her tongue. She does not have enough space on her lower beak for her tongue so she is housing it in a pocket in her throat that has been created. I’m a little reluctant to disrupt some thing that’s working OK for now. I know she can’t live forever the way things are. But just trying to figure out the best decision for her. She’s literally like a pet. She’s so sweet!! 💛

Thank you so much for asking about her! She’s actually hanging in there. It takes her a lot longer to eat food and drink water, but she’s holding her own. We have her scheduled for surgery on the 25th to trim up her beak and her tongue. She does not have enough space on her lower beak for her tongue so she is housing it in a pocket in her throat that has been created. I’m a little reluctant to disrupt some thing that’s working OK for now. I know she can’t live forever the way things are. But just trying to figure out the best decision for her. She’s literally like a pet. She’s so sweet!! 💛
I hope she gets better soon!❤️

Back
Top Bottom