Help! Chick with hernia (?)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by goonius, Apr 17, 2017.

1. goonius

goonius Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2016
    SC
    We have broody hen who hatched 5 healthy chicks yesterday (Happy Easter!) and the sixth had its beak sticking out of a small hole this morning. A few hours later, chick was half out, and by this afternoon chick was hatched. This was all reported to me by my diligent 9 year old daughter, as I am laid up with a broken foot. Well, once chick was born, my daughter kept saying the chick seemed subdued and she thought the mama had stepped on it. Then she said the chick's belly looked bloody, so I had her bring it in. I'm attaching an image from after we put antibiotic ointment on the hernia? Incompletely closed navel? I'm not sure what it is. Baby chick is being held while we set up a tank and warming light. Does anyone have advice? Could he survive? He is subdued and isn't walking but will cheep and struggle vigorously if disturbed. I am trying to keep things dark and warm for now. Is there anything else I could be doing? [​IMG]

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Give it some time and another chick to keep it company. Remember the heat light should be only on one end of the tank---about 95 degree's and do not heat the other end- I personally would use a hanging lamp with about a 40 watt bulb---as long as the floor directly inder the light is around 95 for the first few days.

I want to share something that I know to be a fact where I live. If I tilt or bother a hatching hen---it causes the moisture under her to escape---moisture needed for the hatch. Doing so can lead to late/problem hatches for the eggs. I personally would not allow anyone to tilt/look under my hatching hen. You can with yours if you want for sure----she is yours----just sharing known facts from personal experience. Good Luck

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  3. goonius

goonius Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2016
    SC
    Thank you. I do know the girls looked under her -- which is how they knew the chick was halfway out. What a devastating lesson, and heartbreaking to think this little one may pay the price. I appreciate the advice If the chick recovers, could I tuck it back under the mama at night?

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Yes I would try it---but is it takes a few days---watch the mother and make sure she will accept it.

And as far as the other----hey if you do not know---you do not know. The broody hen stays on the nest the last 2/3 days to increase the moisture---tilting/taking off does release the moisture. Some want agree but that ok!! I set 72 hens in just 2015 alone---80 more in 2013 and 2014----I am no pro but got a lot of experience with broody hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by