HELP!!! Chick with hurt leg....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TypoKytty, Jun 13, 2016.

1. TypoKytty

TypoKytty New Egg

Jun 13, 2016
    So I am new to this site and don't know my way around I hope this is in the right place.

Yesterday night we notice one of our little chicks was having a problem with his leg and figured it hurt itself or one of the other got to rough. They are 5 days old and super active, my grandma is the one raising the baby so I don't know much about chickens (Raised one in the house but that was a while back and has giving me a big heart for them.) but I do know time have change since she raised a hurt chick so I was reaching out for help with this little guy.

It seem to have gotton worse to now it wont put any weight on it. But he is trying to eat and drink so is there a way to help with pain and maybe even help it heal. Any advise is welcome. if you need more info about the chick I can add more.

2. chickencrazy21

chickencrazy21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    west covina california
    I had the same problem with a chick somehow hurt itz leg. Wasnt much i could do at that point as the jount or whatever had healed. This was back in december.took her awhile and i made sure she wasnt in pain (never had to give her meds) shes now 6 months old and laying. She doesnt have use of the leg its like its paralized and just lays against her body and the toes are straight. But she uses her wings almost as crutches and gets around. However i have her seperated eith some younger birds so the bigger ones dont pick on her. Shes my special needs bird. She doesnt knoe she has issues. You could splint it with a popsicle stick and tape just to stableize it and heal the way it is. She may use it she may not. The splint may drive her insane. Ir you can rebreak it with pain meds and stablize in what you think is the right way. But id just leave her ve and see how she does.

3. chickencrazy21

Aug 22, 2012
    west covina california
    The black one is the special needs. She her leg its the bad one. She doesnt even have use of the toes. Not sure what vaued the injury.
    [​IMG]

4. TypoKytty

TypoKytty New Egg

Jun 13, 2016
    Thank you for the response we are going to let her be and hope for the best but I think my family will leave it be and see. She is eating and I'm guessing getting so water down her.

Thats neat that she can live a good life even with the leg. Doesn't seem to slow her down judging from the picture.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  5. chickencrazy21

Aug 22, 2012
    west covina california
    No indeed it doesnt slow her down at all. I have to get video of it one day. But nsturally when i have my phone she lays around. When i dont have my phone shes jumping off the walls so to speak lol. She pretty much uses the wings to get up and then hops and sticks the wings out as balance. Its amazong.

6. TypoKytty

TypoKytty New Egg

Jun 13, 2016
    Sorry for the way late reply, thanks to you I convinced my grandmother to give her a chance. Since she is special I gave her the name Colette and she is still doing just fine. A little unsteady but she is starting run with the others and is completely independent from us as far as helping her up to eat and drink. So thank you for the input on her care and that you have a perfectly happy healthy chicken in the same boat as little Colette. [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by