Help!!!! Chick With Only 1 Eye And It Is Shut?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newchickens2009, Jan 25, 2010.

1. newchickens2009

newchickens2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    I Have A Chick That Is About 24hrs Old And He/she Only Has A Right Eye And It Is Shut. The Left Eye Never Developed? I Tried To Open The Closed Eye But It Looks Like There Is Skin Totally Covering It With No Opening. Should I Go Ahead And Cull Now To Save It From Starving To Death, Since It Can't See Where To Go To Get Food Or Water, Or Is There A Chance That This Eye Will Open In The Next Day Or So?

2. untamed_spirit

untamed_spirit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Witley, UK
    How sad [​IMG] It is heart breaking to have to make that decision. I had a wee chick that was born with its stomach outside its body. Obviously it would never have survived untreated, and most probably wouldnt have survived surgery so I had to cull it, bless its soul.

Whatever you decide, I wish you well.

3. newchickens2009

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    IT IS THE BIGGEST AND MOST ACTIVE OF THE HATCH. I DON'T WANT TO CULL IT IF IT HAS A CHANCE BUT, DON'T WANT IT TO SUFFER EITHER??[​IMG] O....... WHAT SHOULD I DO????[​IMG]

4. untamed_spirit

Jan 25, 2010
    Witley, UK
    Is it taking water from you?

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If it can eat and drink... then it can live. It is up to you if you have the time/space/accommodations to raise a blind bird. It has been done, but only you can judge what is best for your bird. If it has one developmental defect though, there very well may be others that are internal.

Part of keeping animals is knowing when to let them go, so it is up to you. Best of luck.

6. newchickens2009

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Yes, When I Dip It's Beek In The Water It Will Drink. Everytime One Of The Other Chicks Chirp It Runs Towards The Noise And Then Runs Into The Side Of The Brooder.

7. untamed_spirit

Jan 25, 2010
    Witley, UK
    Bless his soul.. As silkiechicken said, if you have the time, and the chick seems healthy in every other respect, you could try raising him by hand feeding/watering etc.

8. newchickens2009

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Quote:I COULDN'T AGREE WITH YOU MORE. I WANTED TO PUT IT OUT OF IT'S MISSERY WHEN I GOT HOME TODAY FROM WORK BECAUSE I DON'T THINK THAT IT WILL SURIVE AND I DON'T WANT IT TO SUFFER BUT, MY SON WAS DEVISTED THAT I WAS GOING TO CULL IT. I EXPLAINED TO HIM THAT SOMETIMES EVEN THOUGH IT HURTS THERE ARE THINGS YOU HAVE TO DO FOR THE BETTER. IT IS BETTER TO CULL IT NOW THAN FOR IT TO SUFFER AND DIE IN A FEW DAYS. I PROMISED THAT I WOULD CHECK HERE TO SEE IF YOU FINE FOLKS THOUGHT THAT IT HAD A CHANCE OF THE EYE OPENING AND IF NOT AND IT WASN'T OPEN BY THE TIME I GOT HOME FROM WORK TOMORROW THAT I WOULD HAVE TO CULL IT. (WITH MY WORK SCHEDLE I DON'T HAVE TIME TO FEED BY HAND) [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  9. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:i had one hatch with no eyes and was told chickens can thrive without sight.(mine died due to a crooked beak and she couldnt eat or drink)make sure you keep showing her the food and water and done move it.see what happens..

10. newchickens2009

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Quote:i had one hatch with no eyes and was told chickens can thrive without sight.(mine died due to a crooked beak and she couldnt eat or drink)make sure you keep showing her the food and water and done move it.see what happens..

WELL IT'S STILL LIVE AND RUNNING AROUND. LETS SEE WHAT TOMORROW BRINGS?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by