HELP chick with rough naval

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AmyP716, Jan 23, 2015.

1. AmyP716

AmyP716 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2014
    Michigan
    I hatched some chicks in my incubator. Two of them hatched today which was day 21. The other two are are scheduled to hatch monday. Both chicks that hatched had very rough navels. One died about an hour ago. The other looks fine so far but has a small thread of dried stuff connected to a larger piece of dried up stuff hanging from the navel area. What should I do? Im afraid to cut it off. Here is a pic it's not very good though. It is a silkie chick. [​IMG]
    I have two more eggs to hatch on monday. Is there anything I need to do before they hatch. Really hope this little guy makes it.

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    I fear that if you don't remove it that it will become infected. I've seen pigeons with similar things and it was caused by naval canker. There's another disease known as Omphalitis that effects the naval.

3. AmyP716

Apr 16, 2014
    Michigan
    Ok do you think I should just snip it at the thinnest spot. I really don't see any blood, only really close to the chicks body,It is kind of red. Should I put anything on it? Maybe some iodine or antibacterial ointment.

4. AmyP716

Apr 16, 2014
    Michigan
    Ok I snipped it off. It didn't bleed. Now it's just a crusty red spot on the body? That just needs to dry up right? Like a babies belly button. Is there anything to help it dry up faster? I don't want it to get infected. I put the chick with dry wash cloth in a small margarine tub to keep him from moving around and scraping it on anything until it looks better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by