1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help!Chick with Slipped Achilles tendon what to do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickyD, Oct 30, 2010.

1. ChickyD

ChickyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    NH
    I thought my new chick had splayed legs. But for the last 4 days I've been putting the band aids on her legs and they seem to be getting worse:( The poor thing just chirps all day long very loudly like she is in a lot of pain:( I've read on some of the posts about Slipped Achilles tendon and think this could be what she has? I took these pictures of her 5 days ago. I will try and take more today. It is very hard if I don't have anyone to help me as she flaps her wings and struggles to get away. She was over a week old when I got her . Do you think it's too late to help her? She is between 2 and 3 weeks old. One leg now goes forward and the other one goes back like she's doing a split..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  2. ChickyD

Oct 11, 2010
    NH
    Anyone? I want to try and save this little one. I'm just not sure if it's too old to do anything??

3. WVchick71

WVchick71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Small Town
    If its the tendon you could try stretching the leg out behind the chick and pulling it gently to see if it will slip back into place. Other than that I dont know but I hope someone comes along that knows more! check out this site and see if it is any help.

http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/1/

4. ChickyD

Oct 11, 2010
    NH
    I have checked out that site and tried to stretch the leg back with no results:( I think I spent to much time thinking it was splayed legs and using the band aid method. It really seems a lot worse then it did a week ago. I put her in a small box that is very narrow so she can't tip over. She's been starting to get on her side and can't get back up. I will keep reading and see if there is anything I've missed.

5. nellynsally

nellynsally Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Hi, I just read your post. I just went thru the same thing with a 4 week old polish tolbunt. It's leg look like it was turned backwards. I thought at first it was splayed leg so I taped it at day 1 after hatch.. Then, put in a chick-chair. ( long story)...No improvement... The breeder who sold me the eggs thought it might be a vit deficiency or slipped hock so I tried poly-vi-sol for weeks and tried to pull the tendon gently back .Then, I took it to an avian vet who tried to tape it's top half of the leg. She said it was the tendon, not a slipped hock as I thought.. She said it would be best to put it to sleep as it would never get better and getting prothestics was not really an option( believe me, I would have tried it)... I am so sorry to have to tell you this. I hope your story turns out differently....[​IMG]

6. ChickyD

Oct 11, 2010
    NH
    I've been thinking the same thing .Although I don't have the heart to euthanize myself. I will give her another few days:(

7. nellynsally

nellynsally Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Hi again, Is the leg turned backwards or doing the splits? Did you happen to search chick chairs on this site? Sending you my thoughts..Let us know what you decide to do and how your chick is, ok?

8. ChickyD

Oct 11, 2010
    NH
    Well I couldn't do it. I ended up making a swing for her and she seems content. Here's a picture of her.Her right wing seems to be permanently sticking up now. I think from her struggling to get around.I do take the water dish out at night. I've been losing sleep over this chick:( Hopefully this will take some of the discomfort off her legs.
    [​IMG]

9. ChickyD

Oct 11, 2010
    NH
    Hi nellynsally, sorry I just saw your post. Yes one of her legs is starting to turn backwards and she is doing a split all the time.She seemed like she was in pain the last day I had her legs in the band aids. I had read in one of the posts about this swing. Hopefully it will help her.
    Thank you for thinking about us:) I'm worrying so much . I'm dreaming about chicks chirping all night:(

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by