1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help!! Chick with swollen vent, pics included

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Urbanchickens, May 24, 2007.

1. Urbanchickens

Urbanchickens Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2007
    I'm posting pictures from yesterday and today. I had thought she was swollen for a few days but I'm a newbie and wasn't sure. I'm posting pics from yesterday and today. The other girls pecked her last night but I think she had some problems before they started. She's 2 wks old. Any ideas what is going on and what we can do for her??

Yesterday:
    [​IMG]

Today:
    [​IMG]

Also today:
    [​IMG]

TIA!
    Karen

2. iopele

iopele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    Looks like my chick did when he was constipated:

[​IMG]

I gave him several drops of olive oil with a syringe, then gave him 1/2cc of sugar-water every 30 minutes. After about 2 hours, he pooped a TON. I did have to use a soft plastic earwax-spoon to help him get started, but 2 days later, he's doing great now and his vent looks normal.

Good luck!

3. Urbanchickens

Urbanchickens Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2007
    Sorry, I was in a hurry when typing my original post. Here's some add'l info...

She is 2 wks old, seems to be eating and drinking OK, pooping OK, moving around OK (flying out of the cardboard box I used to isolate her), but she seems hot to the touch.

Any more ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by