Help! Chick with wound on neck and head.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bock, Oct 8, 2011.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    My sister was letting the broody hen and chicks explore on the lawn, when she noticed one of the chicks had blood on its neck. When the mother hen pecked it, we looked closer and realized that the chick it missing a patch of skin on its neck, and you can lift up a flap of skin and actually see its skull. My mom was putting on some neosporin, but I remembered that neosporin with pain relief is toxic for chickens. I have read that several times, so I ended up having to rinse it off. I feel terrible now, I probably just made it hurt more and stressed it out. I didn't want to poison the baby though. Oh, and the chick is almost two weeks old, and is in isolation right now. It is very quiet for being separated from its siblings, and is sleeping too much. Please help, can I put anything on the wound so it won't get infected and won't be in so much pain? Thank you!

2. AmazingGrace

AmazingGrace Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    I have had some success with some medicine I got from the feed store called "Rooster Booster." Really the only thing it does is keep the other chicks and hens from pecking at it. I'm not sure about meds to heal it. I don't know if this will be helpful or not. It didn't work at first, but then I put some on different areas of the coop, (around where they feed so the other hens would try to eat it. It taste awful to them. Once the others got a taste of it on my hen they quit bothering her and she was able to heal and has new feathers coming in nicely. I hope your little chick heals up and does better. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  3. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    get BluCoat. it Is an antibacterial coat that also seal the wound and colors it so that it wont get picked at again. Anything RED is a pure target and they will pick and pick and pick. With BluCoat, you can put the chick back in with mom.

4. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Thanks for the help! Do you know if they sell the two products you just mentioned at TSC? I am going to town tomorrow, but for now I think the chick is too weak to put back with mom. I just found an old tube of NON pain relief neo. I could put some of that on. Even though I have been hearing that as long as the neo doesn't contain the "-caines", it is fine. I don't want to take any chances though.

Good news! The chick drank a huge amount of sugar water, and is now starting to peck at its food. It really does not seem to miss its siblings at all, compared to other chicks I have had to separate in the past. It's kind of weird really. The chick it still wobbly though, and it sleeps a lot. I just want to watch it for now, I still don't know how it got hurt. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by