help-chick wrapped in fly ribbon*UPDATED*

Mom 2em All

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Dora, Alabama
I heard a commotion and ran outside to discover my four week old show girl wrapped in a fly ribbon and stuck to the rose bush. any idea how to get the sticky off the poor chick?

Last edited:
Oh no !!

Cut off all the excess sticky paper.
I would try warm water, not sure how that would work, I've never had that problem before.....
A soak in warm water and see if it comes off - or next option perhaps oil? But you would need to wash THAT off afterwards as well.

(To wash oil off, do not WET with water directly. Mix the soap with a little water first and THEN apply to the bird)

I used baby oil when this happened a couple years back. Just stick her in the tub and rub the baby oil in and it should come right off.

Don't forget to wash her and blow dry after before putting her back with the rest.

Not sure! What a yucky situation! If the glue is oil based, either dish soap or vaseline might work. Peanut butter might also work. Can you clip any of it off of her? You might try baby oil, too.

Keep us posted!

Shelly

What about peanut butter?

ETA...sred and I were thinking the same thing
smile.png

Last edited:
heh heh...in the quick time it took you all to respond- I covered her in baby powder...I already had the fly ribbon off, but all those gorgeous feathers are stuck together.
I will wait until she has calmed down, then I will capture her again and do the oil/bath treatment. At least I got her to the point where nothing will stick to her, but her feathers are glumped together.

A bath should do the trick on getting those feathers unstuck. It worked for me when a pullet had a tangle with the fly paper.
I am glad she is ok, but I have to ask....did you take pics before you took her off the rose bush?
wink.png

I'm having flashbacks, LOL. My black Ameraucana cockerel flew up into the fly strip while trying to get away from the big girls and got it wrapped around his beautiful silky feathers. Poor boy! He got a bath and a blow dry. Lost a bunch of feathers too, mainly from his underfluff.

Last edited:
Mineral oil, real mayonnaise or peanut butter will help get rid of the stickiness. Then wash with Dawn and lukewarm water to remove the oily residue. I get a call about this at least once a month from parrot owners when their birds fly into them. Good luck...it really does come off.

Glad to hear you got it off of her without any major damage. I had a wild snake get caught in a sticky mouse trap once...that was fun.
roll.png
Poor thing got a few broken ribs, I think, but he slithered off as fast as could be after I got him out of that. LOL!

I always worry about it wrapping around their head or eyes, or something! Poor girl!

Shelly

Back
Top Bottom