*Help* Chicken Acting Really Sick :( Internal laying?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by I-Have-Happy-Hens, Jun 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Hi I have a NHR hen who is about a year old and yesterday and today have been acting like she is sick She is slow, hold wings like she is cold, blinks slowly, has a very MESY vent area it is green and yellow [​IMG] , and twiches her head a lot like somthing is bothering it but I can`t see anything from the outside.

Could it be internal laying? I am very worried about this chicken I let it out of the pen to get some grass and be away from the others.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. NHR 1 year
    2) She is slow, hold wings like she is cold, blinks slowly, has a very MESY vent area it is green and yellow [​IMG] , and twiches her head a lot like somthing is bothering it but I can`t see anything from the outside.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 2 days
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? NO
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. NONE
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Chicken feed and treats, water
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Runny, Green, yellow and stuck to vent area
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? myself
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use Coop and clean shavings

Thanks so much Happy-Hens

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Has she not been laying. Have you felt around her vent for an egg?

3. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    You should post this under emergencies to get immediate help.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've moved it in here for you.

How is her crop? Green poop usually means food isn't getting through or she isn't eating. You'll have to verify the crop, that it isn't impacted or soured first.

5. I-Have-Happy-Hens

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    how can you tell if it has soured or anything like that?

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Huge and hard like a baseball is impacted. Gassy feeling with nasty sour fermented smell is soured. If you use the Search feature, you'll find lots of info on both. If nothing is wrong with the crop, you can then go from there.

7. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    If her crop is impacted, you will notice when you touch it. Feel it gently, and you'll find that it's very large, maybe even hard, like it's packed to bursting with food. At this point you can determine if there's an obstruction or if it's sour crop. If it's hard, full, and un-palpable, the opening very well could be blocked or partially obscured. If it's soft and squishy and very large, it could be sour crop. With sour crop sometimes the chicken will have horrible breath, too.

Another sign can be her weight. Is she lighter than normal?

The best way to tell if she's impacted is to feel her crop before she goes to bed at night. Keep in mind how full it is. Next morning, before she eats anything, feel it again. If it hasn't emptied overnight, you've got a problem.

Good luck! [​IMG]

8. I-Have-Happy-Hens

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Thanks so much guys She did smell bad like sour milk I am pretty sure its not impacted, now that I have given her a bath she is doing better and does not smell bad.

9. I-Have-Happy-Hens

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
  10. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I'm glad she's feeling better! [​IMG] If you haven't all ready, I would recommend trimming a few of the feathers away from her vent area so that they don't get all tangled and matted again. It'll help her feel better and easier to clean up, at any rate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by