*Help* Chicken Acting Really Sick :( * Update*

I-Have-Happy-Hens

Songster
9 Years
Jun 16, 2010
Carrboro, NC
Hi I have a NHR hen who is about a year old and yesterday and today have been acting like she is sick She is slow, hold wings like she is cold, blinks slowly, has a very MESY vent area it is green and yellow
sickbyc.gif
, and twiches her head a lot like somthing is bothering it but I can`t see anything from the outside.

Could it be internal laying? I am very worried about this chicken I let it out of the pen to get some grass and be away from the others.

Thanks so much Happy-Hens

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks I just gave her a bath I just did the nastest thing ever her she had maggets all over her vent and Bottom it was bad now she clean and happy I put her in a dog cage with water and some yougert mixed with chicken feed she doing very well! Could she have eaten something with magots on it we have people behind our house who might have thrown out and she ate it when she was free rangeing. How could they still be alive after going though her? Is there anything else I can do for her? She is compleatly clean on the outside now I would really would like any Help with this!

Last edited:
I saved one chicken like that by bathing her in warm water. She fell asleep in it, it was so precious. But another chicken of mine died like that. It was just too late for her. You definitely need to get her in some warm water and give her some yogurt. That always helps for me
smile.png
Good luck!

PS. Internal laying is definitely a possibility but it could be some other contagious virus or infection. Careful!

1) What type of bird , age and weight. NHR 1 year
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 2 days
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? NO
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. NONE
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Chicken feed and treats, water
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Runny, Green, yellow and stuck to vent area
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? myself
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use Coop and clean shavings

Thanks I just gave her a bath I just did the nastest thing ever her she had maggets all over her vent and Bottom it was bad now she clean and happy I put her in a dog cage with water and some yougert mixed with chicken feed she doing very well! Could she have eaten something with magots on it we have people behind our house who might have thrown out and she ate it when she was free rangeing. How could they still be alive after going though her? Is there anything else I can do for her? She is compleatly clean on the outside now I would really would like any Help with this!

Thanks

Happy-Hens

If she has maggots, they DID NOT go through her. They were eggs laid in an open wound. Check for more and keep the area scruputously clean. Feed her scrambled eggs and perhaps add vitamins to her water.

Back
Top Bottom