help! chicken ate almost three feet of 1/4" rope!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cabinchicky, Jan 24, 2014.

1. cabinchicky

cabinchicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2013
    ohio
    hubby checked girls today when he got home to find one had gotten rope used to hang cabbage. the rope had fallen off a shelf and she ate a good part of it, about 3' of it. she had two ft hanging from her beak, he wasnt able to pull any out and then had to cut it off.what should I watch for?? I am at work and have limited info now. been told she acting fine, I know to check crop but waiting for him to get back. thanks for any help given!!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I had one swallow a tarp string once and did OK (long piece of the plastic from an old falling apart tarp). Never try to pull it out of the throat if it won't come.

If it gets stuck and she has trouble there is a crop surgery thread on BYC but that would be a last resort.

3. cabinchicky

Nov 8, 2013
    ohio
    I worry her crop will be blocked. not sure how long I should watch until I have to remove it or start tube feeding. will try to massage in the morning. I read Kathy's(?) post on it months ago, the crop blockage removal one. currently reading, when i get a break,on tube feeding. shocked she ate so much. really not sure time wise I should go from watching her, untill I try tube feeding or when should I try other means .how long should I try only massage?? when should tube feeding start?? is it very possible she could pass it and I am just too worried??

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  4. cabinchicky

Nov 8, 2013
    ohio
    just home and checked crops on three birds, all feel the same and I cannot tell which of the 3 b.r. has the rope. none of them tried to get away or act as if bothered them. will check again in morning when hubby can show me which of the triplets it is.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That's good news!

-Kathy

6. cabinchicky

Nov 8, 2013
    ohio
    oh dear p.m. u! thought u may have went to bed.

7. cabinchicky

Nov 8, 2013
    ohio
    checked this morning still looks good and acting normal, I can't really spend much time with her today. we awoke to no water, trouble comes in threes. I keep checking when I can, will try to massage in a while.

8. cabinchicky

Nov 8, 2013
    ohio
    she is acting normal still. eatting and passing waste normal too. crop not full. our well collapsed Friday night have been melting snow and getting water from family.

9. cabinchicky

Nov 8, 2013
    ohio
    she still acting normal. no proof I can tell yet she has past some of it. I keep oyster shell out all the time, hope this is proving to help in this matter.

10. cabinchicky

Nov 8, 2013
    ohio
    Kathy thank you again and sorry for the p.m.! I keep thread updated, going to be a crazy week, glad I stocked up on Jameson. will need a glass or two after work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by