Help... Chicken attached by dog can i save her

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lovemygirls22, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Lovemygirls22

Lovemygirls22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2017
    Gramercy. Louisiana
    Back has some feathers ripped off and behind her neck is bad shes still alive and breathing heavy can i save her.

2. toomuch

toomuch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2015
    Yes you can. I've had so many dog attacks. Put some hydrogen water on her cut and keep her warm. Dont let the cut get dirty. My white leghorn once cut all of her neck skin off and I put some hydrogen water and kept her cut clean and she lived.

jeepgrrl likes this.
  3. Lovemygirls22

Nov 30, 2017
    Gramercy. Louisiana
    Ok great.. It is also one of my leghornes

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Hydrogen peroxide delays healing because it kills new cells. Better to flush the wound with saline solution and then use betadine to disinfect.
    If the wounds are deep, follow up with an eye type triple antibiotic ointment. That type melts at body temperature so will seep deep into the wound.

5. ashlierami

ashlierami Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2017
    Alabama
    Yes chickens can be very hardy. I had one chicken survive 2 dog attacks. My White Plymouth rooster survived an attack just last week. I've also had a 4 month old chick survive a hawk attack of being carried off and dropped . Keep the wounds clean. I've always given mine electrolyte water and added protein such as boiled eggs or mealworms once they settle down and get ready to eat again. It's always saved mine. Hope your chicken gets well!

The Chickens' Maid likes this.
  6. ashlierami

ashlierami Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2017
    Alabama
    Betadine and triple antibiotic is also what I used and the wounds healed nicely with no infection.

7. Lovemygirls22

Nov 30, 2017
    Gramercy. Louisiana
    Eye type??

april parsons likes this.
  8. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    It might help to see some pictures of the chicken. If it just happened, she's probably in shock. Keep all the wounds clean and make sure she isn't bleeding, but get her to a dark, warm, safe environment with no loud noises. It may help if you hold her, since she may calm down a bit if she can feel that you are calm. Simulate a mother hen environment as much as possible.
    As far as wounds go, hydrogen peroxide is really good. Some triple antibiotic ointment is always a go-to for open wounds. You might also try some Blu-Kote spray, but if the wound is too open, this won't necessarily help. The spray is better once the wound has scabbed over and needs to just be kept clean. Warm water is also good to help clean and relax her.

micstrachan and AnneInTheBurbs like this.
  9. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    ChickenCanoe has a really good point. If you do use hydrogen peroxide, don't use it more than once.

micstrachan likes this.
  10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Yes. The type to treat eye infections.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by