Help Chicken Attack

gaited horse

Merry Christmas!
11 Years
Aug 14, 2008
Fernley, NV
My chickens hurt my duck yesterday when I was'nt home yesterday and I really could'nt see it until this morning when I got home and I had to leave again.
Here is what is wrong with the duck:
Two cuts on her neck
And her eyes have something that looks like spit in the corners but I can wipe it off.
What should I use to make her better
In the morning I'm moving her to her own pen
Here is my plan let me know if I'm doing it right.
Scrub wound are on neck with warm water then put some icthamal[sp] or Nu coyt on it then cover that with guaze and wrap with vet wrap. change band aid every day and keep clean.
I don't know what to do about her eyes does anyone have any ideas?
Please help and don't critisize
Thank you.

Not sure what is wrong with eyes, but possibly terramycin opthamic ointment would be beneficial. I believe you can get at the feed store. We got ours from our vet. As far as other wounds I would keep it clean and dry, apply neosporin without pain killer. Nu kote I guess is good, I have blue or red kote that is great. They heal really fast. Good luck. Keep us posted on your duck.
I found it hard to keep guaze or vet wrap on a duck, but if they are kept in a clean area with no flies, It can be kept open to the air without problems. The kote is also a barrier, so that helps. Again, good luck.

Quote:
Thank you
I do have the Terramycin.
I will try my best to keep everyone updated.
What is the difference beteen Nu Kote, blue Kote and Red kote?

I haven't used nu kote, Red kote is For fast healing of lacerations, scratches, etc. Non-drying. Fights infection, stimulates skin growth, minimizes scar tissue.
Blue kote - Effective treatment for surface wounds, abrasions and ring worms. Fast drying antiseptic is effective against bacteria and common fungus infections. Helps dry lesions.

One of her eys is swollan shut. I moved her to her own pen today. She is acting a tad sore today so i am going to keep a close eye on her she seems fine other then being a little her eye and her soreness up I think she should make a full recovery. If anyone has anyother advice let me know.
I did'nt get any of the blodd on her neck cleaned off becuase I don't want to pick a scab but I did clean the cuts put some ontment on her eye and put some Nu Kote on.

I have also read that honey works well for healing.

Just apply a coating daily and it will help keep out infection while healing.

Also make sure she can get into a pool for a bath. For my ponds (kiddie swim pools), I break the ice and pick it out with a pitch fork. This will leave the pond ice free longer than if you leave the broken ice in the pond/pool. Even hurt, she will want to clean herself and readjust her feathers.

hugs.gif
for you and her. Is she the one you are looking for a friend for?

Quote:
yes she is the one and only.

Update She is doing alot better today. Her eyes are not swollown and she is acting like her old self. As soon as the scabs heal I am going to post an add on CL that I am looking for another duck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom