Help - chicken attacked by bobcat, something hanging out of chest. Will she survive?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by callieisspooky, Aug 21, 2014.

1. callieisspooky

callieisspooky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2012
    Carmel Valley, CA
    Two chickens were attacked by a bobcat just now. One has a laceration that looks hopefully minor, but the other has a laceration on her chest with something hanging out of it. Whatever it is is brown, soft and tendon-like, not bleeding. I called the vet, who said to bring them in this afternoon. Do you think she has a chance?

2. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

Chickens are very hardy. Very likely she will be okay. Keep her warm so that she doesn't get shocky.

3. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I think theres usually a chance. I wish photos were working on the site right now. If you can get to the vet do it.

Keep in mind sometimes stress can get to them pretty bad, but keep as calm as you can and you can only do the best you can. Do you think she has a chance? If you do go for it, if you absolutely don't I'd put her out of her misery.

4. KayTee

KayTee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    Not bleeding means that there is more of a chance for her. Keep her warm, calm and separated from everyone else. A dark box would be the best to keep her docile, seeing as it is only for a short time. Although you are taking them both to the vet, don't put them in a box together unless you can supervise them all the time. Something hanging from another chicken is just asking to be pecked by someone else!

All the best for both your girls.

5. mightymax

mightymax Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    How much later this afternoon ??? If it's going to be more than an hour or so, you might want to consider keeping the wound hydrated. Tissue can crust over pretty rapidly if it's allowed to air dry and if whatever it is that's hanging out of her chest is vital, then you don't want it to do that. Also, as previously mentioned, Keep Her Warm...85 degrees or more would be great!

6. KayTee

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    [​IMG] Good advice. I once had to go to the hospital casualty department with a child who had cut his hand on a broken glass. Because of the delay (I was a teacher in a special school, and we had to jump through hoops to get the parents present, get the child to hospital etc), they said it was impossible to stitch the wound, as it was over 3 hours old, and had dried too much on the edges. It was a nightmare!

(edited to change my smiley error!)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  7. callieisspooky

Jul 18, 2012
    Carmel Valley, CA
    I wish I could take them right away, but her first opening was 3:15. Must be busy. I misspoke/typed, the wound is a little bloody, but not actively bleeding.

8. KayTee

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    Not actively bleeding is good, as it means no blood loss. However, the fact that it has bled and dried means it will become crusty, as mightymax said. Try and hydrate it if you can, but without introducing any more possible infection into the wound. Use a freshly laundered towel or flannel moistened with distilled or bottled water if you have any. An aerosol 'misting spray' that you can buy to cool you down would also be an option if you have one.

You won't be able to keep it completely clean, and the fact that it was a bobcat will mean there is already a chance of infection from the claws / teeth, but you need to minimise the risk as much as possible.

All the best - keep us posted. [​IMG]

9. callieisspooky

Jul 18, 2012
    Carmel Valley, CA
    Thanks so much!

10. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    How did the vet visit go?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by