HELP! Chicken badly injured beak

svitlaangel

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2016

We have no clue how it happened. What do I do? I don't want to hurt her but how can I clean it up? Please help she's not eating because of it and she's our favourite chicken

If you can't see properly in the photo, at the line of the blood the beak is split.

Last edited:
To feed her, feed all soft food. Wet layer mash, gooked oatmeal, scrambled eggs.

:) we're trying wet oats and scrambled egg, but she can't close her beak :( she try to eat it and pick it up but once she grabs it she can't close her beak and swallow it.

I have a hen who has had two bloody beak injuries. They both healed on their own with time. She didn't want to eat because they were painful, but eventually she did eat. I offered lots of soft foods and made sure they were a nice room temperature for the easiest eating possible. Hopefully she will eat soon. Good luck with her.

Definitely keep her separated from your flock because they will peck once they see the blood.
She'll figure out how to eat; keep giving her the mash (chicken crumble mixed with water). This is best for her because it has all the nutrients she needs.
While our hen (with injured beak) was healing, she also ate cat wet food for a week before she ate the mash we made.
You may want to hand feed her. We had to do that. Our hen could grab bigger chunks of the wet crumble mixture from our hands (smaller pieces/clumps were harder for her).
I bet your chicken's beak will grow back...

Back
Top Bottom