Help! Chicken bled and I don't know why???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by byudawn, May 13, 2011.

1. byudawn

byudawn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    I just took my 7 week old black austrolorp to my son's class for Show and Tell.
    I transported her in a box carefully and when I opened it up to show the class (only I held her) she started spotting BLOOD onto cardboard box beneath!!! I picked her up gently and there were no bumps on the quick 3 minute drive to the school or carrying inside. There are 5 LARGE spots and I set her down and just talked about her instead, hoping that she wasn't bleeding MORE or that she would die right there.......she hasn't bled more since I brought her home, and I tried turning her upside down to see WHAT was bleeding, but I see NOTHING! Could it have been out her bum??? She pooped twice and they were normal-ish, so I don't understand what happened??? Any ideas??? Truly, could she have bled from stress??? But I just barely held her out for a few seconds and I've carried/held her many times before!

2. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Did you check her toenails? Sometimes there is a split that only bleeds when the toe is in a certain position- like flexed for balance in a moving car. Best of luck!

3. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Did you check her toenails? She could have been hanging on tight in the box and injured a nail, even if it seemed like an easy ride to you.

4. byudawn

byudawn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    WOW. you guys are GOOD. Yes, her middle toe had a hairline crack in it and I feel absolutely horrible that I didn't even THINK of watching out for that! Next time I transport, I'll put the pine shavings at the bottom like I was thinking I should do vs. just newspaper. Thank you! I'm so glad it wasn't something more serious, although that was quite a bit of blood and freaked me out! (Luckily I was far enough away that I don't think the kids even saw!) Thanks for this forum for "city" folks like me still learning! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by