Help! Chicken bleeding from mouth

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chixlittel, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Chixlittel

Chixlittel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2014
    Midwest
    I seriously need help. I have a Rhode Island Red that I noticed was bleeding from her beak. I thought it was dried blood from anther hen. I noticed one of my other hens was bleeding on her comb. I thought she was the culprits and had dried blood on her beak. I got her to drink water, and then noticed she was dripping blood out of her mouth. I don't know what to do. Why would her mouthbe bleeding?

2. Firekin1

Firekin1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    Does she show any signs of illness at all?If she has no visible injury, and hasn't had access to any sharp stones and such that would or could injure her the only thing that pops in my mind is ILT at this exact moment, though there could be other illnesses like some sort of aneurysm perhaps.

3. Chixlittel

Nov 20, 2014
    Midwest
    What is ILT? They live in my garage in a coop/outdoor dog kennel right now. Is this something they have to be exposed to, or something they can just get? She seems to be acting fine.

4. Chixlittel

Nov 20, 2014
    Midwest
    Should I pull her out and separate her?

5. Firekin1

Apr 5, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    Infectious laryngotracheitis is a viral respiratory disease caused by a herpes virus. Infections can happen in both young and older birds. It's carried through the air and can be brought in on clothes and such. But if she's not showing any other signs and none of your other birds are showing any signs of sneezing, or gaping, or fluffing, or any illness signs it's more than likely not that.

6. Chixlittel

Nov 20, 2014
    Midwest
    It almost looks like the top beak is short. But, not real short. Maybe she broke her beak? Would it bleed that bad? I looked where she was laying, and there was a lot of blood covered pine shavings. How long would it take to heal. Should I do anything for her. I've seen her drink and I just saw her eat.

7. Firekin1

Apr 5, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    If he beak is broken down too short that's a good place for blood to come from. They have a quick like a toe nail, if broken too far down it will bleed and usually bleed quite a bit. It would more than likely be tender as well, if you notice she hesitates to peck her food try giving her something softer, it'll heal pretty fast.

8. Chixlittel

Nov 20, 2014
    Midwest
    It seems she is staying off by herself. I'm not sure if it's because whenever she goes by the other chickens, they peck her beak or what. I'm afraid if I pull her out, they won't accept her back in. I'm just not sure what to do for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by