Help! Chicken broke it’s foot!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Old Ben, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Old Ben

Old Ben Chirping

Sep 23, 2018
    I went to let out the chickens to free range this afternoon, only to find that one of them was dragging its foot and limping to the point of almost falling over. I looked at another post on here about a broken foot and followed it the best I could, but I probably did something wrong. After bandaging the foot the best I could, I put the hen in a old dog cage with food and water and placed it in the hen house.(I’m going to move it out In the run during the day but it was about to be dark anyway.) I have no clue how she broke her foot, she doesn’t look like she was in a fight, no messed up feathers, blood etc. Basically what I want to know from experienced members is what I should do while she heals? And anything I need to change about what I’ve already done. Also, how long will it take to heal? Here’s some pictures for reference.

Attached Files:

2. WindingRoad

WindingRoad Songster

Nov 21, 2018
    Maine
    My 2 SLW can fly do you suppose she flew too high and landed wrong. She's beautiful. Did you just warp the leg or did you sling it? Make sure she is eating and drinking good. She needs nourishment. You can get a plastic tub or some call them totes. Fashion a sling to the sides. Many pics here of the set up. I don't know how to look them up but someone will be along to help with that. Make sure she has food and drinks. I would think a little pain medicine. Again I don't know what to use or dosage. I would bring her inside for the night. I didn't notice where you live. Put the tote in the bathtub. Hope she get better. Food and water available right under her nose so she doesn't have to walk on the leg.

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  3. Old Ben

Old Ben Chirping

Sep 23, 2018
    I’m not sure if I’ll be allowed to bring her inside, I’d like to, but that’s not up to me. I cut up a bottles of water to put the feed and water in, I know it’s small, I’ll just have to check it often until I can find something else. They’re right in front of her so she can get them. I taped a stick to both sides of the leg to keep the foot straight instead of curled up (I didn’t really know what else to do.) they like to fly on a roost in the outside run a lot, so she could have broken it when landing/falling.

4. WindingRoad

WindingRoad Songster

Nov 21, 2018
    Maine
    Nice looking SLW how old? Laying. I'm assuming your parents won't let you bring it inside. You could still fashion the sling if you have somewhere to put her inside , outside.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  5. WindingRoad

WindingRoad Songster

Nov 21, 2018
    Maine
    Go to the thread injured game bird. There is a nice post about the sling apparatus I was trying to explain. I wish I knew how to link you to the thread. Sorry no computer skills here.

6. Old Ben

Old Ben Chirping

Sep 23, 2018
    She is a cage in the garage right now. She isn’t laying yet, she’s around six or seven months old. (She was three months when I bought her.)

7. Old Ben

Old Ben Chirping

Sep 23, 2018
    Thank you for the information! I’ll look at it and make it as soon as I can. Btw. I noticed she’s doing this thing that looks like “crowing” but not making any sound. She only did it every once in a while when I was rapping her foot. She seemed to stop when the cage was in the hen house, but now that she’s in the basement(so she can be slightly warmer than in a cage by herself in the hen house.) she’s doing it almost constantly. Is it a breathing problem? “Mourning“ because she’s not with the rest of the flock, or pain? She definitely wasn’t doing it before the broken leg, and none of the others seem to be either.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Great job on the splinting. I am a little worried that it might be something other than a broken leg. She might have sprained it, or it could be a sign of Mareks disease. I don’t mean to scare you about Mareks, but chickens at her age can show up with lameness in one leg or a limp wing. They may not be able to balance and may use their wings to walk.

So, in the morning, I would take the splint off and look at her leg for swelling or a bruise that might be a broken leg. Make sure any swelling is not related to the splint being on her. If you cannot find any swelling or bruising, I would make her a chicken sling to sit up in and rest her leg. You can put her food and water right in front of her. And you can take her out of it to sleep at night, and a few times during the day to stretch and rest.

Here are some examples of chicken slings and chairs that can be easily made from a piece of cloth (cut 3 holes for both legs and a poop opening) and some clamps:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

And here is a video:

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Hopefully, she only has a sprain, not a broken leg, or especially not Mareks disease. But Mareks is a virus that some chickens can get. It can cause lameness, sometimes tumor, sometimes blindness or eye changes, and it may kill them. It strikes young chickens usually in the first year of life. I really don’t want you to worry too much about this being Mareks, but I just want to point out that her leg could be lame due to a disease, not just a broken bone or a sprain. When you have time, you might want to read this link about the disease:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

10. Old Ben

Old Ben Chirping

Sep 23, 2018
    Thank you for the information! I’ll make sure to check for that In the morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: