1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Help chicken bullies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dae819, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Dae819

Dae819 In the Brooder

Sep 5, 2016
    I recently added 2 new chickens to my flock and one of them is being picked on. The 2 new chickens are silkies. I had one silkie before, a black sex link and a chicken that looks like a mini version of my black sex link. The silkie I had originally is not picking on my new silkie but the 2 others are. I'm sorry if my description is confusing. I'm not sure how to fix this. I feel really bad for the new little silkie. Please help

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    How did you go about making the introductions? How are the birds housed -- dimensions of the coop and run, etc? How long has it been since you put the new birds in with your existing birds? Is actual physical harm (not just a few missing feathers, but broken skin, bleeding, etc) taking place?
    Silkies are a breed that are at a disadvantage when it comes to living in mixed flocks as they tend to be popular and easy targets for bullying -- that being said, there is a certain amount of what can be perceived as bullying that is just part of the natural process of integrating new birds into a flock.....the answers to the questions above can help to sort out which situation you have on your hands.

3. Dae819

Dae819 In the Brooder

Sep 5, 2016
    I have 5 chickens total 4 of them are bantams. My coop itself is 4 by 4 but it has an attached run and then I also let them out during the day to run around in an area that's about 20 by 20. I introduced them 4 days ago and they've been getting along until now. No one is bleeding but some feathers were pulled out. The one that's getting picked on is hiding a lot now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by