Help chicken bullies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dae819, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Dae819

Dae819 Just Hatched

Sep 5, 2016
    I recently added 2 new chickens to my flock and one of them is being picked on. The 2 new chickens are silkies. I had one silkie before, a black sex link and a chicken that looks like a mini version of my black sex link. The silkie I had originally is not picking on my new silkie but the 2 others are. I'm sorry if my description is confusing. I'm not sure how to fix this. I feel really bad for the new little silkie. Please help

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    How did you go about making the introductions? How are the birds housed -- dimensions of the coop and run, etc? How long has it been since you put the new birds in with your existing birds? Is actual physical harm (not just a few missing feathers, but broken skin, bleeding, etc) taking place?
    Silkies are a breed that are at a disadvantage when it comes to living in mixed flocks as they tend to be popular and easy targets for bullying -- that being said, there is a certain amount of what can be perceived as bullying that is just part of the natural process of integrating new birds into a flock.....the answers to the questions above can help to sort out which situation you have on your hands.

3. Dae819

Dae819 Just Hatched

Sep 5, 2016
    I have 5 chickens total 4 of them are bantams. My coop itself is 4 by 4 but it has an attached run and then I also let them out during the day to run around in an area that's about 20 by 20. I introduced them 4 days ago and they've been getting along until now. No one is bleeding but some feathers were pulled out. The one that's getting picked on is hiding a lot now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by