Help. Chicken cannot stand up or walk.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Catwmn, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Catwmn

Catwmn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2010
    Willis, TX
    Yesterday I found my Bantam Easter Egger hen laying on her side in the pen. She could not stand up or walk at all. Just a few hours before she seemed just fine.

I have brought her inside and she is propped in a donut made from a towel with a wee pad covering it. She does try to stand up from time to time but just falls back over.

She is fully alert and will peck at food if I hold it in front of her and drinks water if I dip her beak in it.

So far I have given her .5ml of poultry nutri drench by mouth and fed her by hand and given her water.

Yesterday her poop was solid but today it is runny. I wonder if the vitamins caused that.

Two weeks ago I noticed she had a pasty butt. I cleaned her well and put her back out the next day. She just seemed a bit lethargic at the time.

My son had to go in the hospital and my husband took care of the birds while I was gone.

When I came home it had rained while I was gone and there was moldy feed in the feeder. :(

I dumped it and put fresh in but I am sure this is mold toxicity.

None of the other birds in the pen look off.

Her irises in her eyes are fully normal, her wings work and her neck is not floppy.

Do you recommend doing a molasses flush or epsom salt flush or will this just take time to fix itself?

I made her a sling of sorts to sit in with her legs poking through the bottom but she keeps turning herself sideways in it so I took her out and put her back in the donut I formed from a rolled up towel. This seems to keep her off of her side.

Can someone tell me what to do or what the prognosis might be?? This just came on so suddenly. I don't want to lose this sweet girl. :(

Thanks in advance!!
    Cat

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I can think of two things, Marek's, which I have seen a few like your hen, and cage layer fatigue, but I've only read about it.

3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. SuburbanOutlaw

SuburbanOutlaw New Egg

Mar 4, 2013
    Hm, I was just coming on to ask a similar question. My hen is doing the same thing! I will create my own post with pictures, but I will continue to check on yours as well. I hope your girl feels better soon!

5. Catwmn

Catwmn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2010
    Willis, TX
    Wow I have never heard of Cage Layer fatigue! I will make sure she gets some calcium then and some vitamin D. Thanks!

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    When I suspect low calcium in my hens, I give them one of my 500mg pills, but I've only done that for egg laying problems.

7. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    it could also be a botulism from the moldy grain. Usually they go quite fast with that though although a Mallard of mine lasted a couple of days. A flush might not be a bad thing to think about but only once.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  9. Dawn 9394

Dawn 9394 New Egg

Sep 23, 2013
    What happened to your bird. I have the same thing happening and don't know what to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by