HELP- chicken cannot use foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beachylivin, Nov 20, 2016.

1. beachylivin

beachylivin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2013
    I have a two year old silver laced Wyandotte that is not using her right leg. My chickens are free range and always great me when I arrive home. I found my Wyandotte by herself laying next to her food and water. She is still eating, wings are fine, she just will not use her right leg! I am an animal keeper so I am savvy when it comes to animal care, but I'm looking for ideas on how to splint her foot.
    Her leg looks fine but her toes just hang there. When I press on her foot with my finger there is no reaction from her toes. She's been hobbling but hasn't left the run. It looks like the issue is where the toes meet the foot. No bumble foot or anything like that. I'd really like to try and help her heal before going straight to killing her. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    sounds like she just sprained it or something. Thats happend to me before. Just separate her from the flock and give her a few days of rest and I think she'll be fine

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Make sure that she gets some poultry vitamins in her water that contain riboflavin in case of a deficiency. This can cause curled toe paralysis. Hopefully, it was an injury that will heal, but Mareks disease can cause paralysis in one or both legs or wings. Let us know how she gets along.

4. beachylivin

beachylivin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2013
    I will get her some vitamins. It's been three days and there is no improvement. She doesn't want to try and walk anymore, just lays down.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might want to get her upright in a chicken sling or chair. There are many pictures of homemade ones if you do a search at the top of this page in the search box. Mareks disease usually affects much younger birds, unless a carrier has been brought into the flock recently, or wild birds may be ill. I would even try to get her leg Xrayed if possible by a vet to look for a broken bone. It can take several weeks for a bad sprain or broken bone to heal. It can be difficult caring for a lame bird, not knowing if they will recover. We don't want them to suffer, but it can be hard to know when to give up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by