Help! Chicken comb something wrong!

arwebb8419

In the Brooder
Oct 4, 2016
North Texas

Anyone know what is wrong with her comb?? I just noticed it today! Is there anything I can do to help her??

It looks like a chunk is missing. Possibly a bit of frostbite as well.

Have you noticed anyone picking at her?

You can apply some Blu-Kote or pick-no-more to the comb to see if that helps.

I haven't noticed any of the others messing with her, I have noticed black spots on the other hens combs and wattle as well? Is it something other than frostbite?

Looks like mild frostbite to me, possibly accompanied by an injury (caused by another bird pecking; it happens relatively frequently with chickens). I would put some antibiotic ointment on the comb to help prevent infection, but she should be fine.

It does indeed just look like an injury. It's common if you have roosters but if you don't have any then more than likely a scuffle with another hen. There could be a mild case of frostbite. I'm with BantamLover21 on applying the antibiotic to help with healing, gently rubbing it on will also promote blood flow.

It looks like other chickens are pecking at her comb to me. Perhaps there had been frostbite and then they pecked at her injury?? They do that sort of thing...darn it anyway! I'd put some Peck No More on it or antibiotic of some sort. Poor baby!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom