Help! Chicken curling neck!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Zealo, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Zealo

Zealo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2014
    One of my girls wont lift her head. She's keeping it low and curled in.
    She keeps lowering it to her belly and shaking at times and nocking herself off balance. Please help!?!

Will send a pic soon

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is probably wry neck or torticolis, which is a neurological symptom of inflammation in the brain or spinal cord. It can be a symptom of vitamin deficiency, a head or neck injury, an infectious disease such as a respiratory or Mareks disease, and sometimes it is congenital. Most people will isolate the chicken in a quiet environment with food and water close by, and give vitamins daily. Thiamine (vitamin B2,) vitamin E, and selenium are the main ones to give. Some products such as Poultry Nutri-Drench and Poultry Cell by Rooster Booster contain all 3. You can also use the vitamins separately, or use PolyVisol without iron baby vitamins 2-3 drops by mouth daily temporarily. Eggs, tuna, ground meats, and ground nuts and sunflower seeds are high in selenium. Does she have any other symptoms, and was she vaccinated for Mareks? How old is she? Injuries seem to be the most common causes along with vitamin deficiencies. Read these links for more info:
    http://oureggbasket.blogspot.com/2013/04/wry-neck-or-crook-neck-understanding-it.html
    http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html

3. Zealo

Zealo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2014
    She's about eight weeks old, has not been vaccinated for marek.
    They have been on chick starter with dried mealworms, a chick stick, and bugs as treats.

4. Zealo

Zealo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2014
    So she's been doing better these past few day and has become very demanding now. She is still have twitching fits here and there, but their becoming more rare. However, she still seems to be off? Any time she tries jumping up to something.. she just jumps straight up. She was also now a lap chicken or at least demands to be one. She'll often get out of her brooder, and into my lap.. or my shoulder. she also peeps when she see's me and makes a whurr sound when she's in my lap...

Have I created a lap chicken???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by