Help!! Chicken Design Project Needs You!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LukeS-R, Jun 28, 2011.

1. LukeS-R

LukeS-R New Egg

Jun 27, 2011
    Hi All,
    my name is Luke from the UK and I am going to make a chicken related project as a school assignment but I need to do a lot of background research. I am currently looking at solutions to problems that make the poultry keeper's life easier and also bring modern features to the (backyard/commercial) poultry keeper. I would greatly appreciate people giving their views on my project and also if you could spare any time, could you please answer a few questions for me.

[*]Do you keep chickens as a hobby or as a business?
    [*]How long have you kept chickens?
    [*]How many chickens do you have?
    [*]What breed are they?
    [*]What problems do you face keeping chickens (what is the most time consuming part of keeping chickens)?
    [*]Have you had problems with predators in the past? (If so please say what kind of predator and what happened)
    [*]What style of chicken housing do you have (material and size)?
    [*]Do you find areas of difficulty in different seasons?
    [*]What happens to the chickens when you go away?

I am interested in automated motorised doors, what features do the current ones lack?

Many Thanks, Every response is appreciated!! Luke

2. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Hobby

54 years

79 - er - 78. I just ate one.

[*]What breed are they?
    Buff, lavender, and blue orpingtons, appaloosa, americuana, cuckoo marans, silkies, aloha project chickens

[*]What problems do you face keeping chickens (what is the most time consuming part of keeping chickens)?
    Scrubbing out the water dish every day, yuck.

[*]Have you had problems with predators in the past? (If so please say what kind of predator and what happened)
    We have big tarantulas out here, sometimes they carry off entire chickens.

Recycled bottles, 10'x10'

Glass gets too hot in the summer

Hasn't happened yet, but thanks for reminding me.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  3. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hobby

Only about a month this time although about 20 yrs ago I kept chickens. But I forgot everything I knew about them back then (and then some).

12 right now and will rehome 6 as they get bigger.

[*]What breed are they?
    3 easter eggers, 3 black australorps, and 6 sex links (was supposed to be 3 gold and 3 red but it's looking more like 2 gold and 4 red)

washing up. I'm a germophobe and it's quite a big deal to me to keep something with germs. lol

Not yet.

We have a 4 x 6 wooden coop that we bought premade and a 10 x 24 run that we cobbled together ourselves.

Don't know yet but I have a big feeling winter will have plenty of challenges, between keeping water thawed and having to go out in deep snow to do chicken chores.

We haven't gone away yet but hopefully we can find someone to feed and water when we go away. Not sure about how to keep them safe at night-there's not much chance we can find someone to let them in and out of the coop so we'd have to keep it open all night. yikes. And our coop door isn't the type that would work with an automatic opener, I don't think.

4. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Rogue Valley, S. Oregon
    Hobby
    My current flock: 3 years, but I had them as a kid too, though I am not sure if that counts.
    [​IMG] 64. But I will be thinning the flock to 30-ish by October
    [*]What breed are they?
    See below
    The biggest challenge is keeping them safe. Its neccesary, but inconvenient to close them in each night (you have to wait till they go to bed, but if you wait too long it gets dark!) and let them out first thing in the morning (I am so tired when I get up its a miracle I am fully dressed each day)
    The most time consuming part is that I like to sit out there with them getting to know them and just watching them be chickens... I go out to feed them, and sit in the run for 2 hours just hanging out with my flock.
    Yes. Most recently a rat (we think) killed 2 or more of our chicks. Prior to that a stupid dog 'played' with some of them and many were injured and killed. And way back when I first got them I had less cover in their field and a hawk nabbed 2 of them.
    I have one 8x8' metal shed coop with chain-link and chicken wire run, one 3' x 4' coop made of scrap lumber and leftover siding from my garage with a chain-link/sheep fencing/chicken wire run, and another coop in the early planning stages will also be scrap wood with the run made out of a portable garage frame with fencing wired on. And the chicks are in a large rabbit hutch till the new coop is built. They were in my greenhouse, but it got too hot.
    In summer the coop is sweltering hot and the grass dries up and dies. They need water dishes filled more often, and the flies are bad.
    In winter, it is so wet it is hard to clean the coop. Any spilled food gets absorbed into the floor muck and thus not eaten. It is less fun to open and close coop doors and fill feeders when it is cold, dark, and wet.
    We have to pay a house sitter (or bribe our neighbor!) to open and close coops, check food and water, and take care of our garden watering. Until the rat incident we were leaving the coops open, and might do so again once the babies are grown up.

I am interested in automated motorised doors, what features do the current ones lack?
    I have never used a motorized door. The cost has always seemed quite high and I am not sure any would be easily adapted to suit my coops since they are made of scrap wood.

5. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Hobby/Business
    6 yrs
    125 ish
    [*]What breed are they?
    Mostly Araucana with some Araucana mixs for table egg layers
    Cleaning is the most time consuming. Efficient use of space and always needing another pen. Trying to create the perfect pen configuration for what I want. Definately having enough pens is the biggest problem.
    I had two of my dogs kill a pen of baby chicks. I got rid of the dogs.
    I have 5) 3' wide X 8' long and 3' high chicken tractors for breeding pens. I have 3) 16 X 16 grow out pens for birds I am not sure what to do with yet. 1) 6 X 8 baby grow pen 4) 8X8 breeding pens 2) 2X8 broody pens all made of recycled
    wood.
    With all the rain this year, it was difficult keeping my pens dry and they all have roofs.
    I have someone feed and water them.

Lanae

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by