HELP! Chicken does not breathe through its nostrils, and uses its mouth/beak to breathe

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sus9441, Dec 23, 2014.

1. sus9441

sus9441 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2014
    One of my chicken does not through its nostrils, and instead uses its mouth/beak to breathe. There was some noise from its breathing (from beak). I'd did a test whether it breathe from its nose or mouth by holding its nostrils- and it was okay with me blocking its nostrils.
    I've noticed that it keeps its mouth open too.

What does these observations suggest?
    Is it just a typical cold? (because recently they have been sneezing...)

2. ChickenLover172

ChickenLover172 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2014
    North Carolina
    Sounds like a typical cold to me, but I would still watch their behavior and see if they act lethargic or anything. If they just sit around and lose their appetite, that's not a good sign.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Chickens don't get simple colds like humans do, they get respiratory diseases, it is much more complicated then a cold. Could be that or it could be some other issue. If multiple birds are sneezing you may have a respiratory disease moving through your flock or it could be something environmental such as dust or other allergens. I would keep a close eye, and ear, on them to see if symptoms progress or if there is any coughing, wheezing, rattling breathing, runny/bubbly eyes. If you see progressing symptoms you may want to treat with an antibiotic to minimize losses.

4. sus9441

Dec 10, 2014
    how long would it normally take for them to recover?

5. sus9441

Dec 10, 2014
    now, around the chicken's eye is red.

6. sus9441

Dec 10, 2014
    its food consumption is normal, but it doesn't drink much water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by